luvinlife offthegrid- will winter ever arrive?

luvinlife offthegrid

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
OH .... the Celtic pipes are callin' ... and the Scottish lass will dance!!

Nice to make your acquaintance! :welcome

Sounds like you will like it here. :D
I'm only part Irish ancestry, but dance I will, with guinness pint in hand!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
:lol:

I am Scottish, Irish (primarily) with a big dab of English, French and German tossed in. Scot enough to get sick drinking a Gluten filled beverage like Ye old Guinness. Hard cider for me please!

Bring on the pipes and drums. There is a party tonight!! :woot

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Yep, you'll fit right in! :D

We are looking into getting an outside wood boiler for heating our home and hot water if we could swing it. It is about $4-5000 and we have to make sure everything is compatible cause we live in a doublewide and have some issues with the duct work being compatible to other options.

We are in a perfect area for solar but it just isn't cost effective for us to put in right now because for us to do a solar air/heat unit we would have to totally rip out the existing duct work under the house and replace it along with all the insulation under the house in order to get one with a high enough seer rating to go with the solar.

If you want the ducks to stick around get some indian runners....they don't fly :)

Nice to have you here, I look forward to hearing more!

luvinlife offthegrid

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My heat exchanger works with the hot water baseboard radiators. The place didn't have central heat so we could could pick the system that worked best for us. Not sure about the switchover to forced air, though. Thansk for welcomes everyone! :frow

S

sunsaver

:welcome It's nice to meet another off-gridder. It must be nice living in the woods. My closest nieghbor is 20ft away, but i do have a small patch of woods on the other side, so when i look out the kitchen window, it "feels" like in in the woods! Im looking forward to hearing more about your off-grid life.

luvinlife offthegrid

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
sunsaver said:
:welcome It's nice to meet another off-gridder. It must be nice living in the woods. My closest nieghbor is 20ft away, but i do have a small patch of woods on the other side, so when i look out the kitchen window, it "feels" like in in the woods! Im looking forward to hearing more about your off-grid life.
As long as you can see plants and trees, that's all that matters. ;)

Yay! This is my 11th post! off to upload a photo and update the profile...

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
veyr nice, i realy want to do solar one day :D

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:welcome I envy your solar. One day..I hope we can afford it too. Have to pay off the mortgage first... :rolleyes:
Sounds like you all have a great handle on things there. Now, when are you getting goats?Or pigs?? :D

luvinlife offthegrid

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
justusnak said:
:welcome I envy your solar. One day..I hope we can afford it too. Have to pay off the mortgage first... :rolleyes:
Sounds like you all have a great handle on things there. Now, when are you getting goats?Or pigs?? :D
Ha! I have a coworker who is a farmer who has already pushed chickens on me. We call her the chicken pusher. LOL. She gets her foot in the door and before you know it you have bottle lambs, goats, and highland beef cows.

She will not work her magic on me, though... nuh uh! I am allergic to animal dander but am ok with birds. The worse she could do is push turkeys on me right now.

I am very fortunate to live in a place where LOTS of people raise their own food plus a bit to feed the neighbors. A guy down the road has cows and pigs already. The farmer I work with has pork, beef, chickens, turkeys in a chest freezer at her farm stand. I can swing by on the way home from work and pick up whatever I need. There are 3 CSA's in a 6 miles radius. Life is good here.

One of the reasons we ended up solar is bc the length of the driveway. It was about 10 grand cheaper for us to stay off the grid than it would have been to run power out here, as we're past the end of a dead end dirt road.

Latest posts