luvinlife offthegrid- will winter ever arrive?

luvinlife offthegrid

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Aaah. Back from a week-long vacation. :woot My son and I visited my sister for a week while my husband worked his butt off, then he picked us up to go visit his Dad and stepmother for the weekend. Had some good trips with all the kids to the zoo, children's museum, and the beach. Swam in grandma and grandpa's pool, and did much relaxing before the 5 hour ride home.

I never thought I'd miss my chickens. but I did! The girls and boy got BIG while I was gone. They're 10 or 11 weeks old now. Their big chicken feathers are growing in and there are feathers everywhere all over the coop and run. Their partridge coloring is starting to look nice, the penciling is showing up on areas besides their chests. The brown leghorn's rose combs are finally coming in, and their tails are getting quite long. They have nice white earlobes now. :) The dominiques just look like bigger babies with fluffier legs, heehee. They are all clucking in high pitched voices now, but the rooster (Partridge Rock) is not yet crowing. He is really funny to watch, he seems so timid and skittery compared to the other chickens! I hope he doesn't turn out to be a meanie. :fl

I also missed my garden- which I also didn't expect. I had little mini zucchinis and yellow squashes when I left, and I was hoping they wouldn't be baseball bat sized by the time I got home. They are fine, and growing slowly cause hubby didn't water much. Something has eaten two entire brussels sprout plants, and one broccoli plant is gone, but everything else is doing well. I have even managed to not kill the pepper plants yet. The hot weather is suiting them well. Nothing ate my itsy bitsy cucumber seedlings, for which I am grateful. This is the third seeding for the dang things. :barnie

Good to have a week away, and it's good to be home.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
That's the problem w/having a garden and animals-going away. :/

luvinlife offthegrid

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
That's the problem w/having a garden and animals-going away. :/
Well, I always worry a little about things, but I actually missed seeing my garden grow, and hanging with my chickens. heheh.

I'm glad my garden's doing fairly well too. We have all had a late start this year.

Came home from work last night, and one of my tomato buckets was knocked over. I just wonder if it happened the night before and an animal did it, or if it was blown over by a storm yesterday. I'm thinking animal, because nothing else seemed wind damaged, and no other buckets were toppled. HMMMMmmm.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
glad your vacation was great! I am a vacation gal to the max...more I get away the happier I am LOL

luvinlife offthegrid

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Weird. You and I just replied to each other's posts at the same time. *twilight zone theme* :lol:

luvinlife offthegrid

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Recently put up a tire swing on the old oak next to the house. The kid likes this better than the amish built playground thing we have. Lesson learned: less is MORE.

Wheeeee!
whee.jpg

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Drill a few holes in the bottom of the tire (if you didn't already) so that it won't hold water after a rain. ;)

Tire swings are GREAT!!

luvinlife offthegrid

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Drill a few holes in the bottom of the tire (if you didn't already) so that it won't hold water after a rain. ;)

Tire swings are GREAT!!
Hadn't thought of that. Will do. They ARE great, I was on it the other night. :D

S

sunsaver

Little dude looks like he's having a blast! Brings back memories.