Made me a bit mad----

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sugar, Enriched Bleached Wheat Flour (Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Vegetable Oil Shortening (Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Propylene Glycol Mono- and Diesters Of Fats, Mono and Diglycerides), Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Sodium Aluminum Phosphate, Monocalcium Phosphate). Contains 2% Or Less Of: Wheat Starch, Salt, Dextrose, Polyglycerol Esters Of Fatty Acids, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Cellulose Gum, Artificial Flavors, Xanthan Gum, Maltodextrin, Modified Cornstarch, Colored with (Yellow 5 Lake, Red 40 Lake).

guess what it is?

Duncan Hines yellow cake mix.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Interesting, I don't know that brand.

Locally we have Betty Crocker , Quaker (mixes for muffins and brownies only, according to their website), and Dr. Oetker. Links are to similar yellow/lemon cake mixes, or brownies in the case of Quaker since they don't do cake mixes.

I'm not seeing too many ingredients I don't understand listed for Quaker or Dr. Oetker, however it looks like Betty Crocker is similar to your list for Duncan Hines. It's also not a Canadian link which would be a .ca rather than a .com url. I'm curious to know if the actual boxes sold here have the same or different ingredients, since we have different food regulations here.

My comments above were based on a school project my daughter had to do on nutrition--when you check most mixes in the stores here the ingredients lists aren't radically different to home baking from scratch. Obviously except for Betty Crocker, she must not have checked that one--or the online list is different because it's for an American product.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
not against your post Moolie, just throwing out what a normal boxed cake mix is like vs. easy to do scratch.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh, I'm just pointing out the differences between US and Canadian cake mixes--we have different food rules here :)