Maine...

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Joined
Oct 13, 2008
Messages
199
Reaction score
0
Points
79
I fished out of Montauk Pt.NY for almost 20yrs.Gilnetting Stripe bass, weakfish and blues, dragging inshore and off and long lining Tilefish. I quit in 89' when big brother started medling in our affairs, with restrictions and quota's. Now days half the fleets tied to the dock because of restrictions, high cost of fuel/insurance/etc..
I absolutely do the barter thing.I trade honey/eggs and garlic for fresh fish.I trade a few hrs work at a chicken farm for chicken feed.One guy thought that was so funny he had a t-shirt made up for me that said." I work for chicken feed." lol...hey, let them laugh...by doig that i now have a outlet to sellmy garlic crop, and all the eggs i can eat.By first volunteering to help around the farm for free,i've made myself an in.Now the owner is teaching me to butcher chickens, for when he gets real busy...I love bartering...Sounds like you got a nice little thing going on there Thefan...cool..
 

Mainergal

Power Conserver
Joined
Nov 6, 2010
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Points
27
Location
Maine
Bartering is awesome! We still do quite a bit of that here in Maine. The cold can be a little harsh at times, but I am in a pretty sweet spot near the coast that is still in zone 5 so I can grow a lot. I'm trying to get my act together to put a table out front and sell some produce. Already selling my eggs when I have a surplus to help pay for the grain.

Our state has a lot of welfare going on, but we've got a new Governor (first Republican in over 20 years or more I think) that may just put some limits in place. It would be nice, I'm getting a little tired of my hard earned money going straight to bail outs of all types. I like bartering since it's the one place the Government isn't taking a slice. Seems like every time a little cash changes hands they take a "fee". When you earn it, when you spend it, when you invest it (don't spend it), etc etc.

Whew, thanks for letting me vent!

Stay warm.
 

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Joined
Oct 13, 2008
Messages
199
Reaction score
0
Points
79
Yeah bartering is awesome, i pay to much darn money in taxes as it is...! Lots of folks around here are doing it more and more, for goods and services.The way big brother nickels and dimes working people to death, they force you to find some avenues of relief,bartering has become one.
Of course this is nothing new, people have been doing this for a very long time, i think its just becoming more popular in these tougher times...
You know, i don't have a problem with a hard working American, down on his/her luck(job loss, health problems,etc.) getting some help when they need it.I'm sure there are plenty of war vets living in terrible conditions in our country, that deserve help, but don't get what they need..Then these illegal people just stroll into the USA with thier hands out get the red carpet treatment from from stupid people in control.Meanwhile the vet suffers in silence....it makes my blood boil...! I hope you folks fair better with your new Govenor, they need to stop giving these people everything at hard working Americans expense..
 

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Joined
Oct 18, 2009
Messages
570
Reaction score
1
Points
98
Location
Northern Frontline
Barterting is awsome. :cool:

I figure you were going to have to pay someone for it anyway. why not make it easy and make it work for everyone.

I also like the idea the labor and items are local. This barter concept is hard for a lot because most people are wrapped up in debt. Hard to pay that debt off with eggs when they need cash to pay the bills. I understand that.

If you were to break donw what you really need and have to have I thiknk people would be surprised what they can barter for instead of buying it. The take the cash you would have spent on the items and pay bills off.

DuppyDo: you are so right on the benafits after you get things going. I've gotten canoes, outboards etc. Then bartered them off or sold them for cash. Then reinvested the cash into things we needed on the hometead. :) Live good I do the samething on-line with items


John McKernan was the last R govna in Maine. The real issue was 40 yrs of democrap rule in the house. Not that the repo men will be any betta but after 40 yrs of tax and spend I don't mind a little change.
 

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Joined
Oct 21, 2010
Messages
14,993
Reaction score
615
Points
417
I know in some places you have to do your bartering "in secret". Reason? Because the government wants "their" share from this. In other words, they want to tax you on the bartering! For instance, in many areas, it's common for people, normally teens, to work in a barn in exchange for free lessons. But, in some areas, they're not allowed to do this solely for tax reasons.
 

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Joined
Oct 18, 2009
Messages
570
Reaction score
1
Points
98
Location
Northern Frontline
Denim Deb said:
I know in some places you have to do your bartering "in secret". Reason? Because the government wants "their" share from this. In other words, they want to tax you on the bartering! For instance, in many areas, it's common for people, normally teens, to work in a barn in exchange for free lessons. But, in some areas, they're not allowed to do this solely for tax reasons.
True Deb, the gov does want my money and I want my liberty's back too. When we stand in front of GOD we will then see who is right. :) I guess I'll just rename it volunteering my time and labor for karma. :)

Never forget Dec 16th my friends. :)
 

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Joined
Oct 13, 2008
Messages
199
Reaction score
0
Points
79
Hmmmm..Dec.16th..? please refresh my memory TheFan....
Oh yeah...i've heard that before Denim Deb, big brothers interest in people bartering. I sure thier burning the midnight oil trying to figure out a way to " get us ". I'm talking about it here with you folks, but don't really talk about it much in my daily affairs.Of course big brother could be reading this and come get me ,for being the "big criminal"...Mean while, illegal aliens are selling drugs to our youth and murders are walking around free because we can't afford to house them in over crowded prisons...Something is very wrong with this picture..!
 

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Joined
Oct 18, 2009
Messages
570
Reaction score
1
Points
98
Location
Northern Frontline
DuppyDo said:
Hmmmm..Dec.16th..? please refresh my memory TheFan....
Oh yeah...i've heard that before Denim Deb, big brothers interest in people bartering. I sure thier burning the midnight oil trying to figure out a way to " get us ". I'm talking about it here with you folks, but don't really talk about it much in my daily affairs.Of course big brother could be reading this and come get me ,for being the "big criminal"...Mean while, illegal aliens are selling drugs to our youth and murders are walking around free because we can't afford to house them in over crowded prisons...Something is very wrong with this picture..!
The Boston Tea Party 1773 :) This is the day I buy nothing. Hopefully I share it here and pass it on to others to do the same.
 

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Joined
Oct 13, 2008
Messages
199
Reaction score
0
Points
79
Ahhhh....ok..the Boston Tea Party, i would never have guessed that one..! lol..Surprising, considering how much i dislike being over taxed..!
Tell me THEFAN, are insurance co. just as crazy up your way as around here with homeowners ins.? A__state has been dumping people homeowner policies like crazy, because they have decided they live to close to the waters edge.I'm about a 1/4 mi from the bay, but folks not much close than i have been dumped...Thats why i would consider moving inland a bit from coastal areas if i moved up your way.

You guys still lobstering up there in this cold weather..? Most of the inshore lobsters must be moving offshore now, eh...? Black fishing and cod are picking up off Montauk Pt.
 

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Joined
Oct 18, 2009
Messages
570
Reaction score
1
Points
98
Location
Northern Frontline
DuppyDo said:
Ahhhh....ok..the Boston Tea Party, i would never have guessed that one..! lol..Surprising, considering how much i dislike being over taxed..!
Tell me THEFAN, are insurance co. just as crazy up your way as around here with homeowners ins.? A__state has been dumping people homeowner policies like crazy, because they have decided they live to close to the waters edge.I'm about a 1/4 mi from the bay, but folks not much close than i have been dumped...Thats why i would consider moving inland a bit from coastal areas if i moved up your way.

You guys still lobstering up there in this cold weather..? Most of the inshore lobsters must be moving offshore now, eh...? Black fishing and cod are picking up off Montauk Pt.
We live less than a 1/4 mile from the water and have no probs with the insurance. I haven't heard of anyone here having problems with insurance. If there were I am sure I would have heard about it.

Land is a lot cheaper for sure and taxes are a lot of better. I would still be in the high tax bracket even if I lived inland. I can't live without water near me. I would buy fresh water property. We are looking at a nice piece in Greenbush right now. 45 acres with yr round stream and small pond. 20 north of Bangor. This is a retreat property potential.

Lobstering goes all yr for the bad assess. Normally when the first snow hits 60% of the guys stop. A bunch will set up for scalloping. Starts next week. Pretty much quit time for 3 moths then get gear ready for next spring. A lot of guys are deep but costs a lot to follow the termites. deep water deep rope. We just lost another guy this week 45 miles out. You go over now your done!! Water is still 40-45 and dropping.

I'm going to sit these 3 months out myself. Get some stuff done here at the house. Read a bit and get things set up for next yr. hmmm now I am in the mood for a lobsta roll. :)
 
Top