Make-Your-Own mixes

Greybear23

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi is anyone online now that can tell me if I have to blanch okra to freeze it for boiling later or can I just put it in the bag and freeze it, Lynn

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Blanch 2-3 minutes whole or sliced but whole will not slime the water as much.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Greybear23 said:
Hi is anyone online now that can tell me if I have to blanch okra to freeze it for boiling later or can I just put it in the bag and freeze it, Lynn
I started freezing my okra whole 2 years ago. I do not blanch it at all. Just bring it in, wipe it off (okra doesn't really get dirty) and double bag freeze it. It's so good, I'll never do it any other way.

We have fresh okra in now, but we are still eating last years out of the freezer. I let it thaw just a little (enough to slice), coat it with meal and cajun seasoning and fry it up. No slime whatsoever.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Here is a great cookbook that I found that has a whole section on make your own mixes. "Wholesome Sugarfree Cooking:545 delicious recipes to help you enjoy whole natural foods free of refined sugar, "plastic" fat, allergenic soy, and refined flour." It is put out by Carlisle Printing.

No-salt Seasoning
1 T onion powder
1 T garlic powder
1 T paprika
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp celery seed
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp parsley flakes
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp basil

combine all ingredients in a jar with a shaker top. Use for seasoning fish, poultry, veggies, stews and soups.

Graham Cracker Crust Substitute
1 cup wheat germ
1 T honey
1/4 cup oil
1/2 tsp cinnamon

stir together well. press into pan. chill and proceed with desired recipe.

Egg substitute
Add 1/2 cup ground flaxseed to 1 1/2 cup cold water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; stir constantly. Boil 3 minutes. Cool. Keep in a closed jar in refrigerator and use in baking recipes, substituting 1 T for every egg.

Another egg substitute
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 T milk

Equals 1 egg. Works well in any cake or cookie recipe.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Okay you guys my finger is getting tired of clicking copy/paste. These are really great recipes- I wish I had some to share.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Thanks, that cookbook is awesome! It has lots of dietary information and the "horrors" of modern eating.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Thought I would pop this one back up to the top, too, since there have been some recent discussions on homemade salad dressings. I've been making the Greek one posted here (page #?--after page 10) as a constant fridge staple. It's a bit of a guess, but I think I can make an entire cruet for around 50 cents to $1.