Make-Your-Own mixes

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
The Chicken Lady said:
Tutter said:
Thank you! :)

I started doing this long ago, and what I do is wait until I'm going to make something anyway, such as a scratch cake. Then, as I make it, I line up containers to store, and a mixing bowl.

Let's say that I need 2 cups of flour for the cake. I put 2 cups in the mixing bowl, then I put 2 cups in each of the jars/baggies etc. that I have lined up. At least 4.

Then I do the same with all other dry ingredients, such as salt, baking soda, sugar etc.

Label the containers with the name of what it is (dark powders start to look alike, and you want to know if it's pudding, or a cake, at a glance.), and the rest of the recipe. Such as how many eggs to add, how much oil, and what temp. to bake at.

Now put the 4 away while your cake is baking, and you have an instant mix for the next 4 times you make cake. And you didn't take everything out a separate time, like cups and measuring spoons, bags of flour and sugar. :)

I do this with cake mix, puddings, cornbread, etc.
That is so smart! Thanks for that idea!
I do this, too, for my pancake mix! After all, the most time-consuming part is getting everything out and putting it back away :)

Greybear23

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi guys, I made this Zucchini Muffins the other night, they turned out great, got the recipe from my Mother Earth News, on an add for Domino Sugar. Enjoy, Lynn

Zucchini Muffins from Domino Sugar Ad

Ingredients:

3 cups All purpose Flour
1 teaspoon Baking powder
1 teaspoon Baking soda
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
2 cups Sugar
4 Eggs, room temperature
1 cup Oil (soybean preferred)
2 cups Grated unpeeled zucchini
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
1 cup Walnuts
1/2 cup Golden Raisins
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350' F, Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon, then set aside. Combine sugar and eggs in large mixing bowl and beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Gradually add oil, beating constantly 2-3 minutes. Add zucchini and vanilla and blend well. Stir in walnuts and raisins. Fold in sifted dry ingredients just until batter is evenly moistened- careful not to over mix. Spoon batter into non-stick muffin pans. Bake 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Let stand 10 minutes, then turn muffins out onto rack to cool.

Greybear23

Power Conserver
Reaction score
OK Now if you liked the Muffin recipe, here is one I made up out of my head that turned out excellent! My son does not like squash but he had seconds of this! I used up the leftover Zucchini I had from the muffins too! Lynn

Squash Browns

Ingredients:

2 cups Grated zucchini
1/2 teaspoon Onion powder
1/2 teaspoon/ each Salt and Pepper
1/2 3/4 cup Flour
2 large Potatoes grated
3 Eggs
1/4 1/2 cup Milk
Approx. 1/2 pound Leftover browned ground beef or pork, or both
Grated Colby/Jack Cheese
Directions:
In large mixing bowl combine zucchini, potatoes, salt, pepper, onion powder eggs, and 1/2 cup of flour, then 1/4 cup milk, mix thoroughly with a large spoon, add flour or milk to thicken to a slightly stiff batter mix.
Heat non-stick griddle to 350' F, spoon batter on like hash browns and cook till brown on both sides.
Put one patty on a serving plate, sprinkle with cheese, add second patty, put about 2-3 Tablespoons of ground meat on top and level out, top with grated cheese.
My son likes Ranch dressing on his, I loved it just like it was.
Recipe made 7 patties about 5-6 inches across. Lynn

Greybear23

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Need canning help, my mom wants to make cream of mushroom, cream of chicken, cream of celery and dried beans and peas. Anyone, make their own cream of soups and can them???? Would greatly appreciate any help as all the canning recipes I find say not to can soups with milk or cream or thickened. Lynn

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I know there is a discussion somewhere about "cream of X" soup. Maybe you can search for it.

You don't use dairy, you use stock, and then reconstituted with milk or cream. I just learned about it, and tried it. 18 jars worth! It's completely awesome.

I made mushroom and celery, and cream of onion to which I added thyme and white wine. The original poster is a genius.

Greybear23 said:
Need canning help, my mom wants to make cream of mushroom, cream of chicken, cream of celery and dried beans and peas. Anyone, make their own cream of soups and can them???? Would greatly appreciate any help as all the canning recipes I find say not to can soups with milk or cream or thickened. Lynn

Greybear23

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
I know there is a discussion somewhere about "cream of X" soup. Maybe you can search for it.

You don't use dairy, you use stock, and then reconstituted with milk or cream. I just learned about it, and tried it. 18 jars worth! It's completely awesome.

I made mushroom and celery, and cream of onion to which I added thyme and white wine. The original poster is a genius.

Greybear23 said:
Do you mind sharing your recipes and canning method, thanks, Lynn

Latest posts