Make your own washing soda

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome, City Biddy. I have been enjoying your posts. It's good to be able to compare experiences with a neighbor:)

okiegirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
~gd said:
Bethanial said:
Since this seems to get lost in the other thread ;) , I'm gonna post it here:

Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate, washing soda is sodium carbonate. It's a very easy chemical change we can do at home. Bake your baking soda for one hour at 250*.Please note that is250*C NOT *F The *F equivalent is 482. IF your oven will get to 500F go for it, mine will only get to 450F ~gd

I found this at this blog post, which has a link to the NYTimes article she got the info/idea from

Same blog different post talks about cheapest ways to find baking soda, and also mentions (in the comments) that sodium carbonate is what you can get at the pool supply store

edit - fix link
uh-oh!!! I baked mine at 250 F for an hour and made the soap. :he :barnie I've been using it for about a month now. Great.... I wonder what I've been washing with. I guess I'll just bake more add some hot water to melt and mix it in with the whole 5 gallon bucket..... :idunno

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
;) I put baking SODA into my recipe as well. I am sure it will still work, just not quite as well. :)

ammaar102

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
we can find baking soda easily but washing soda also not that much expensive in here..;)

BirdBrain

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have started using both washing AND baking soda in my soap. What I noticed was that it does not gel like before. The top reqires a bit of mixing to break up what gels on top, but I much prefer the thin liquid cosistancy of this other way as it is easier for me to dispence and store. I use old vinegar bottles to store it. When I am ready to use it I give it a shake and pour it into some ancient Tide dispensers. One thing about using the abking soda---put it in after tge borax and washing soda or you will have a volcano.

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hummmm.. :/ .. I wonder if I added baking SODA to the soap I already made, if that will thin it? Maybe mix the Soda and a little water and add it to the bottles?

BirdBrain

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You would probably have to reheat the whole batch and then add the baking soda.

Freckles21

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I love the idea of making your own cleaning supplies! It is so eco-friendly and avoiding the toxic chemicals of the commercial cleaners is great for the people in your house. Not to mention it can be cheaper if done right! Here is a list of recipes for household cleaners to give a try! http://gomestic.com/home/how-to-make-your-own-bathroom-cleaners/ Let me know how they work!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If you can't find Fels Naptha, try Zote. I actually like the smell a little better. I find it more easily in stores that are frequented by the Latino population.