making basic stuffing

Rarity

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
M always made it with sourdough bread (had to be sourdough) that was cubed, onion, celery, salt, pepper, eggs, boiled turkey giblets and the broth they were cooked in. Oh, and celery salt (seasoning?) I think. Then she baked it till crispy on top.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Rarity, I think to me on taste that is what is missing. being in the bird and not having that turkey flavoring I so associate stuffing.

when I make 'basic stuffing' to go along side it just lacks. I guess I keep thinking of the 'good old thanksgiving day taste' and I am not getting it.

but there are some great ideas on the board. never thought of the raisins in it mentioned before.

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
Dried cranberries work as well or chopped apples. I have never liked stuffing with meat in it--like sausage or oysters. My mind thinks that is what the turkey is for!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea we use the apples at thanksgiving

I guess I scaled down the stuffing so much from the 'holiday stuffing' that the taste is so boring. If I make basic stuffing again I will have to just jack it up a bit more like the holiday style :)

Rarity

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Perhaps broth can be added? Herbs make the flavor better too...

The cornbread stuffings sound lovely too.

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
Definitely use the stock from the neck, etc. If I don't use sausage I cook up the giblets and they go in the stuffing/dressing. That is if I can control myself and not eat the good parts! They are the best parts of the bird!! IMHO....