Making cheese without dairy animals? Friday update

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Ok, well let me rephrase that...I guess I asked the wrong question.

Is it ludicrous to buy milk to make your own cheese?

I guess the bottom line is really playing with food more than money saving. I love cheese and think it would be great to learn how to make some. But sometime things just don't make sense, like making cheese when you are not drowning in home grown milk.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Friends of ours make mozzarella cheese with store bought milk. They just make it on occasion but enjoy it. i haven't tasted it so I don't know how it tastes.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Dace said:
Ok, well let me rephrase that...I guess I asked the wrong question.

Is it ludicrous to buy milk to make your own cheese?

I guess the bottom line is really playing with food more than money saving. I love cheese and think it would be great to learn how to make some. But sometime things just don't make sense, like making cheese when you are not drowning in home grown milk.
I would buy cheap whole milk for practice, for sure. That way when and if you have your dairy animals that are producing, you will not waste the good stuff.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Since my only milking goat was not bred and is drying up I really don't have enough milk here to make cheese etc without supplementing from the store. But I have friends who've got extra goat's milk and I can buy raw cow's milk. I'll make mozzarella with that since I know I'll have some success. I don't think I'd experiment with something tricky using $8 a gallon cow's milk or $18 a gallon goat's milk! But yes! I do buy milk to make cheese with every now and then.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You get about a pound of cheese from a gallon of milk, so you decide if it is worth it....factor in a learning curve, too. If you can get raw milk for a decent price, or organic, or trade with someone like me for milk, it certainly would be worth it. If you hope to someday have your own dairy animal, learning now is definitely worth your time and effort and money, as the skill will serve you well and you won't be so overwhelmed when you open the fridge one day and see nothing but jars and jars of white stuff. Yup, overwhelming! Ask me how I know!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I like the idea of trying out cheese making with store bought cheaper milk so as to not waste the good stuff :thumbsup

Sadly, I really do not see dairy animals in my future. I need to find some friends who have goats!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Dace said:
I like the idea of trying out cheese making with store bought cheaper milk so as to not waste the good stuff :thumbsup

Sadly, I really do not see dairy animals in my future. I need to find some friends who have goats!
You have friends who have goats!!! We just don't live close enough to each other!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
I need to find some friends who have goats!
um.. Dude? there's us! hee hee wish we were closer!!

and why not give it a try? i dont think its ludicrous at all - try making feta. have you seen how expensive it is on the salad bar or olive bar??

why not learn something new? if anything you'll get a fun home made product and have a new experience.

i bet you'll do great.

:)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Heheheee.....yeah! Can y'all just Fed ex me some milk?

Sheesh. :lol:

I need real life friends with goats. But I am the only weird one that I know who would even entertain the idea.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Dace said:
Heheheee.....yeah! Can y'all just Fed ex me some milk?

Sheesh. :lol:

I need real life friends with goats. But I am the only weird one that I know who would even entertain the idea.
You need to do a bit of advertising then. And ask around at the local farmers markets as well.
Maybe you will find someone that can board a goat or two for you, in exchange for some homemade cheese.