Making dinner

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So tonight I decided to make an easy, fairly quick stir fry with noodles. And realized, in the process, why so many people choose to call out for pizza - or, at least, prefer to buy their food already mostly prepped :lol:

As I went out to the remains of this summer's garden to get some green onions and chard leaves ... I thought that most people buy this stuff at the market.

As I pulled the frozen shrimp out of the freezer (and thought about the day that I will maybe have a chance to harvest some fresh from the sea), and put them in a bowl of water to defrost, and then peeled the shells off, being careful to put them aside to add to the freezer container of things for making a fish stock ... I thought that many people would buy their shrimp already shelled and cooked.

As I opened the tote in the storeroom, after removing several buckets from on top of the lid, and dug a couple of carrots out of the damp sand ... I thought that others would buy their carrots already peeled, and possibly already grated.

As I peeled and chopped the onion and garlic, and grated some ginger ... I thought of the many who choose to buy these things already chopped/minced/grated.

As I made sure that the excess bits of the veggies all made it into the correct bowl - one for the chooks, one for the worms, and the rest for the compost ... I contemplated the hordes of people who don't think about any of those things, and just throw it all in the trash.

As I gazed into the 'fridge, wondering if there was anything in there that needed to be used up (quarter cup of cream, and a few tablespoons of leftover corn) ... I thought of those who don't think that such little bits are worth saving.

The noodles were easy; they were bought some time ago, and have been safe in the pantry waiting for this stir fry. Asian noodles, with shrimp paste in them. Interesting idea. Next time, as I make my own, I will be able to contemplate those who buy their noodles from Singapore - as I did, but only once, and only to see if it was worthwhile making my own - it is.

So, an easy and fairly quick dinner ... which would have been even easier and quicker had I allowed myself to depend on various (and, to my mind) dubious food service companies. Oh well ... it took a bit longer, but it tasted good.

(And, it all came from the garden/pantry/freezer. So, if I discount the time that *many people* would have taken to go to the store to buy the ingredients for this night's dinner, it really was easy and quick! :lol:)

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sounds wonderful to me. I am working on moving in the same direction as you. Thanks for the motivation to continue.

Neiklot

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Is it a big thing in US to make your own dinner from what you have home in your garden/pantry/freezer?

:)

SD Farm Girl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
A great reminder to grow what you can, use what you have and don't waste anything you don't have to.
Now I'm hungry for shrimp.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
that is how I cook mostly. I do take shortcuts now and then to make dinner even faster, but not alot of times :p

good post, fun to read and made ya think

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ditto here, except that I make up my own "convenience foods" ahead of time. I often do a "once a month cook" and freeze several full meals ready to heat, I rely on a lot of my home canned items such as tomato sauce, beans, and meats, and I will pre-prepare things and freeze them like shredded zucchini for muffins. But it's all done from scratch.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ditto, also. There's always spaghetti sauce, tomatoes, cooked beans, soups, etc in the freezer.

But there's always that meal here and there that takes longer because I need to make noodles first, OR what the heck, I thought I had this or that, so I have to make that, too, etc etc.
But overall, it's so nice to know that I have ingredients here and don't have to go to the store/fast food place or restaurant.

Theo

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I pulled one of our roosters out of the freezer where he was resting in peace, along with a jar of home made broth, got some of our potatoes out of storage, added a few veggies, made some gravy with the broth, tucked everything under a pie crust and baked it. Voila, chicken pot pie. Good for two dinners at our house. Paired that with an apple crisp made with feral apples we picked out of our woodlot. Yummola.