Making essential oils?

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Is it possible to make your own essential oils at home? It seems to be a complicated process from what little I've read on the matter.

gatorgirl69

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah...I have been wondering the same thing.....Guess it is time to sit and do some research

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I looked at the plans for that stove-top extractor. Where would one find a three-part steamer? I've only seen the 2 part ones (except for the bamboo ones). Even though it only extracts a small amount, it could be useful.

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think one maybe could use a steam juice extractor that has 3 pans

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Your oil extractor (steam) is a pot still with a raised tray. You add in clean water then the tray fill it with your plant matter snuggly and close it up. The steam will push through the plant taking oils with it then it will condense in the coil or worm and oil water will drip out you run it until you only get clean water (may have to add more water) you take all the distillate and let it settle then draw the oil off the top. The left over water is floral water, time for bubble baths and air fresher!

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
the_whingnut said:
Your oil extractor (steam) is a pot still with a raised tray. You add in clean water then the tray fill it with your plant matter snuggly and close it up. The steam will push through the plant taking oils with it then it will condense in the coil or worm and oil water will drip out you run it until you only get clean water (may have to add more water) you take all the distillate and let it settle then draw the oil off the top. The left over water is floral water, time for bubble baths and air fresher!
Some floral waters are added to food and drinks [rose water and orange water off the top of my head] but research them first because some taste nasty and some are toxic.some of the oils are flamable and will vaporise at below room temperature. Often these will be distilled by steam piped from a distant location and the wormwill be jacketed with ice water or To maxi,ize the oil yield. the water/oil emulsion is chilled to help break the emulsion and some times the oil is "salted out" [the salt attracts the water and tends to pull it out of the emulsion. I have done a few oils but the yields were bad and I had to fiddle with the equipment for every new scent. Of course if you have good amounts of materials to work with it only takes a lot of time and attention. Frankly I buy mine.~gd

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You can make a still with a pressure canner and some misc plumbing. For example:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-a-Lab-Qualty-Distillation-Apparatus/

If you have an electric stove, that would be better than gas. Expect it to take 4-6 hours for the first time. After various trials, I don't bother unless I have 2-3 hr to spare.

Although you can always buy essential oils, it's always more fun to make your own!

XtreemLee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have an old pressure cooker I installed a worm and a cooling bucket. I am in the process of gathering juniper berries, then will dry, crush and steam
IMG_20150207_135403922_HDR.jpg
IMG_20150130_092700995.jpg
distill, from what i've been told will be water and juniper oil. Then skim the oil off the water...