Making Fruit Liqueurs

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Wifezilla said:
I have a bunch of zest in a bag in the freezer. I keep forgetting to buy vodka:p
How can you "forget" vodka???

Free, thanks for sharing. I make a version of this, but w/o the sugar. (Can't do sugar.) I love my granny-smith apple infused vodka the best. (I usually add it to a glass of ice, a twist if lime and a bit of tonic water.)
I would have NEVER thought of using apples in vodka! That sounds delicious!!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I can't do sugar either so I am trying my next batch of Limoncello using erythritol. Apparently my son left a quart of vodka in the freezer when he was here on leave, so now I only need a few more lemons!
:weee

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I can't do sugar either so I am trying my next batch of Limoncello using erythritol. Apparently my son left a quart of vodka in the freezer when he was here on leave, so now I only need a few more lemons!
:weee
I will be eagerly awaiting your results! My naturopath wants me using Xylitol or STevia instead of sugar. I hadn't thought to try either in a recipe like this. The Xylitol just might work.

mamaluv321

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
YouTou can add the alcohol infused fruit to punch or wine for sangria. If you make several varieties at once, you can get really creative! And don't forget you can use rum the same as vodka (just don't use spiced or dark):D

edited cause I was late!!

mamaluv321

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Rum on fresh fruit salad!! YUM!
Just don't let the kids find it! A friends 8yo ate half a pint jar of cherries she was soaking in rum to make chocolate covered rum-cherries! He had a "good day" We couldn't believe he was eating
them!! He said "I thought they were kinda...spicy. ". :th

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Rum on fresh fruit salad!! YUM!
You'd have to be horse's petute to waste good liqueur on some fruit, I say leave the horse apples in the closet and jump on a dead mans chest - 15 men and the devil can't all be wrong.

Had to add the song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzcv5TJkJBA

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
The canteloupes are here! I bought three little ones at the farm stand tonight, three that had a very strong melon smell. I actually showed an older lady how to find a good melon! Go figure!

So I chopped them up and put the fruit into two quart jars. They filled them almost 3/4 of the way. Covered them with vodka and marked the calendar.

I have a nice bucket of peels and seeds for the goats, hens, and pigs!

Later I'm gonna mix all the spent fruit together and get my mom liquered up! :D

Oh, crap, I forgot to add the sugar! :weee (running off to find the sugar....I know I bought some a couple of years ago....where is it???)

What I did:

3 small canteloupe (2-3 lbs cut up fruit?) divided into two one-quart canning jars
5/8 c sugar in each jar (the melon was very sweet)
Filled to about an inch from the top with vodka
Put away for one month