Making Fruit Liqueurs

Hattie the Hen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If you are roasting a whole duck or chicken put some of your drained fruit into the cavity along with a chopped onion, garlic & herbs. You will get a great tasting gravy. It will be perfectly OK for children as the alcohol is burnt off in the cooking just leaving a terrific taste.........! :D

It is great in game casseroles too!

Hattie

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
(Off topic: hey Hattie! hope you are well - hows tricks across the pond? how is your summer - we are baking in the heat)

Hattie the Hen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
(Off topic: hey Hattie! hope you are well - hows tricks across the pond? how is your summer - we are baking in the heat)
:frow

Hi ofg,

I'm fine & the weather is just great -- mostly in the mid 70's*F although we have had days in the mid 80's.....not enough rain though so lots of watering of my veg. garden.

I have recently done Morello Cherries (a sour, cooking variety) in vodka & sugar & I am going to do the same with some raspberries).

It looks as if I'm going to have a great harvest from my raised beds. my sweetcorn is 7ft tall & tasselling......OooooH how I am longing for the taste of it............... :ya

Hope you are doing well? I lurk a lot to keep an eye on you all...... :gig

Hattie

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
xpc said:
big brown horse said:
Rum on fresh fruit salad!! YUM!
You'd have to be horse's petute to waste good liqueur on some fruit, I say leave the horse apples in the closet and jump on a dead mans chest - 15 men and the devil can't all be wrong.

Had to add the song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzcv5TJkJBA
Arghh Matey! Thanks for the added song, without it I would have been totally lost.

Hey Hattie!! :frow Your corn is already tasselling? The corn around here is still barely knee high. :/

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Arghh Matey! Thanks for the added song, without it I would have been totally lost.
Glad you found it whimsical rather then a scathing draconian retort. Now you may take 10% off my tap handle I have for sale.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Well, it has been about a month now and I strained my plum and my melon liqueurs. Each yielded close to two full swing-top (Grolsch-type) beer bottles of liquid and I have a quart and a half of boozy fruit in the fridge. I tried one little tiny bit of plum and WHOA, BABY! Fire-breathing! :somad (But not mad!) I cannot imagine eating that fruit! It also had a strange but delightful tingle to it. I am guessing that the fruit itself fermented and there are two types of alcohol going on in that mix???

I got out two more two-quart jars and started two more batches, this time with no sugar. I hope to get a big pail of honey soon and will add some to these batches. I made:

Raspberry Liqueur: 2 bags of frozen raspberries, 12 oz each, and three cups of vodka.

Peach liqueur: About 8 peaches, peeled and sliced, and 2.5 cups of vodka. I used less vodka because I just wanted to go to the tops of the peaches. I peeled the peaches because I am very, very allergic to raw peaches but can eat them peeled and cooked. Don't know why, but my instinct said to peel them for this, so I honored that instinct.

Still might make some cherry with wild black cherries. I checked out a young tree in the pasture tonight on my way out to feed the pigs and the cherries are quite ripe and should be easily reached from a stepladder. Since it will rain most of the week :weee (Yay! Maybe I'll have some pasture again! Less purchased hay=more dollars for projects like liqueurs!) I should be able to get some picked without goats trying to climb the ladder with me. :rolleyes:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I dug out this old thread because I couldn't remember which liqueurs had no sugar and needed the honey added, and it is January, time to try them! Actually, I did use some of the raspberry last month in some mixed drinks and it was AMAZINGLY GOOD!

I will add some honey to the peach and the raspberry and try them on their own later in the week. No, maybe I'll use stevia in the raspberry as the honey might overwhelm it. It will complement the peaches, though, I think.

Homemaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank you so much for re kindling this old thread. Oh, I have only been on this forum for a little over a month. I wish I had known about it for years though. So, many good ideas. My to-do list of experiments is growing......