Making it on small acreage

emilosevich

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just a little bit of an introduction. :)
We are a small family living in NE Ohio. We live on almost 2acres that has been in the family for MANY years. My great grandparent used to live here. Nice to know that many generations have lived in this house.
We have 2 children ages 4 and 2 and have started homeschooling. We raise most of our vegetables. The weather and critters don't always want us to to this, but we usually get something out of the garden. We either raise or buy all of our meat locally. Just can't do store bought meat anymore.
We have 5 goats, 2 turkeys, 1 rabbit, 4 dogs, many cats and way to many chickens to count. The goats provide milk for the house when needed and for the chickens and the occasional calf that spends time on our property. The turkeys are for reproduction purposes we eat their babies and may keep a couple in the future. We have plans to breed our rabbit when she gets big enough to have the babies for meat. We raise RIR both rose comb and single comb for showing and have a multitude of other chickens running around to produce eggs and crossbred chicks for replacements and meat.
well I guess that's enough for now. Any questions feel free to ask.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
:welcome
You will find that many of us here are on small acreage. We have less than one acre. It is amazing what can be done with just a little bit of land.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
2 Acres here and we have horses, a donkey, sheep, turkeys, geese, chickens and a garden to boot. :welcome
Homesteading books are available for starting on even a 1/4 acre!

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Welcome!

We're on .78 of an acre here, and although we only have a garden and chickens right now we plan on adding more (pigs, turkeys, fruit trees, etc) each year... There's so much you can do with a little bit of land :)

:welcome

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Im the slacker I have 10 acres but yet Im still stuck in this little 50'x100' yard and the house takes up 1100 sq ft. All of my veggies are in buckets. However I HOPEFULLY will be living on that 10 acres in June 2011.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We're on 8.38 acres with 3 goats, 9 chickens, 4 ducks, myriad of dogs and cats, a pony and a raised bed garden.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you will fit right in!

:frow One acre: 4 sheep(soon to be 5), 2 dogs, 2 cats, 34 chickens, 15 apple trees and two gardens.