City Biddy
Reaction score
I have a back 40 ... 40 feet by 40 feet, but that sure don't stop me none! :gig

Welcome to the party! :frow

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Does EVERYONE on here live in Ohio??? :lol:

Nice to have you here! We just moved to 2.5 acres with access to around 8 more. We do a lot of what you do, planning on how many chickens to order for meat this year. I'm getting goats in the spring.....don't tell hubby. :p

I have a 5 and 3 yr old that I am homeschooling as well. If you want some good sites for info for them just let me know!

emilosevich

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome everyone. I find it truly amazing what all we are able to do on this small amount of acreage. We are lucky enough that the neighbor doesn't like to mow his back lot so we have access to 1/4 acre for our calf every year plus a lot of ground here that we don't use. There are plans to expand the pasture, but we haven't gotten that far yet:)

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Welcome :frow Sounds like you are doing great there.

Lori- I used to live in Ohio too, but we moved away when I was little. Still have family scattered around there.

Bourbon Red

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Does EVERYONE on here live in Ohio???

- What OFG said! The heart of it all....

emilosevich

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Been a busy couple of days around these parts. Wednesday was house cleaning day. Got about 6 load of bed sheets and blankets done.
Thursday MIL came and got the kids and I headed out with K to do some shearing. DH got to stay home and start knocking down weeds. K and I went out towards Mansfield to shear 9 angora goats. Then headed to an amish farm to pick up chickens. Guess he raises them for eggs for a local hatchery. What an adventure that was. Spent 3hrs there and came out with a little over a hundred chickens to go into the the show string for this fall. Will have to go back the end of August and then again in October. I love digging through pens and trying to find birds for show. Kinda makes me feel at home.
Last night went to work at the livestock auction and ended up clerking. Saw a beautiful chicken nest that I wanted but didn't want to pay $200 for it.:barnie I did get a box of cherry tomatoes for $1 though. Wound up with 85 baby broiler chicks that K bought. Plus got 6 pencilled sweet grass turkey chicks. Don't put much into the fact that they will actually be sweetgrass colored when they mature, but when you're eating them guess it doesn't matter what they look like.
DH got chicks into the brooder this morning while I was at the bill paying job. May lose a couple, but not many. Mom has asked for some of them to be sent back with Dad to Kansas so that will leave me with about 60 or so. More than enough for our family. Now DH is out mowing yard. I think I'm due for a nap today (2days with 4hrs of sleep each is catching up with me). May get some dishes done later right before supper, but just gonna take it easy today.
Sis#2 may come and live with us for a little while. She needs some time to get her feet back under her and get a job. Wants to be closer to her Bf too. She's been in Kansas for almost 2yrs with Mom and Dad and she's just getting home sick. We'll see though.

mamagoose

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yup I'm in Ohio......I guess people around here are just an independant sort.