Making it on small acreage

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
ROTFL - wasn't really meaning wanting help in the baby department, or inviting ya'll to join me in having one BUT FUNNY!

I think if we could get all of the cement blocks we need for the root cellar, I'd like to oranize a "work day" or what the Amish call a "frolic" and see if we can entice family and friends with food to come help us get that project done! :D
How you get it done is by RE-Labeling it. Tell those friends and family that you are building a tornado shelter for the kids. Of course you could still use it as a root cellar until the tornado comes. ;)

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Quail_Antwerp said:
ROTFL - wasn't really meaning wanting help in the baby department, or inviting ya'll to join me in having one BUT FUNNY!

I think if we could get all of the cement blocks we need for the root cellar, I'd like to oranize a "work day" or what the Amish call a "frolic" and see if we can entice family and friends with food to come help us get that project done! :D
How you get it done is by RE-Labeling it. Tell those friends and family that you are building a tornado shelter for the kids. Of course you could still use it as a root cellar until the tornado comes. ;)
HEY! that might totally work! because every time we have bad weather, mom calls freaking out wondering where are we going to go if there's a twister - last time, we told her the ditch across the road :D

she wasn't amused. :/

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Great idea! Storm shelter/root cellar....I bet you could get all the family and friends there for that one. :lol:Just tell them, " if its big enough everyone close can come when needed" Might just work!! ;)

emilosevich

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Haven't been doing much around the farm lately, but with the holiday it was kind of hard. Dad cam into town and was supposed to be taking sis2 back to Kansas. Well his transmission decided to go out for the 3rd time in 5yrs. Mom had to come up and get him. I haven't seen Mom in almost 3yrs. She brought sis3 with her, so we had a mini family reunion. brothers 1&2 stayed home to care for their property. Spent a lot of time visiting with Mom and Dad while they were up.

Took the kids to a friends house on the 3rd for their annual hog roast. We all had a blast and the kids got to experience their first fireworks and hayride. Daughter of the couple hosting the hayride isn't much older than DD and they had fun together with another little girl.

Really not much to report from around here. Things are kind of slow right now. Tomatoes are growing good. Looks like we may just run out of time to get corn in :( Guess I'll have to get some from the one local farm. The goats are doing good and the calves are growing great. Just hope they're big enough to butcher this fall.

emilosevich

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Had to call the vet for a baby goat. Kind of makes me sick to my stomach. It's my favorite doeling from this year! I'm sure she broke her leg, but don't know if it's at a point where it's fixable or not. Vet seems to think over the phone that it is a mendable one. He recommends a small pen that she can't move to much in. He can't get out until tomorrow morning. I really should know better than to have favorites after this long, but I guess it can't be helped. It's inevitable, I will occasionally have favorites and I guess I just better accept that something will happen to them. Just praying this isn't to bad.

Dh has been picking radishes all week. He's so excited, but me and the kids don't like radishes. So more for him I guess:lol:

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
eeeewwwwwwwww radishes!!!

Hope your little goatie is OK and that the vet is right in his over the phone assessment!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I used to love radishes. I don't know what happened, but I don't care for them anymore. I am growing some for our neighbor though. He brought us the seeds. I might just try a couple again.

That is too bad about your little goat. Sure hope it will turn out all right. I hate having to call the vet. It means something is beyond me and it is going to cost :rolleyes:

emilosevich

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Vet came out Monday and confirmed the break in a place not able to be splinted.(duh! wouldn't call you if I could splint it) He said to pen her up in a small (read that SMALL) pen where she can't hardly move except for to pee. He said to leave her in there for 4-6wks and we'll have to see where she's at after that. I guess I should've taken the over the phone recommendation and saved my money. Just thought he might get another idea when he saw her. He said depending on how she heals she may be able to be bred, but won't ever be showable. :(

Gave the dogs their first flea bath of the season. The puppy was not amused. :plbb It was her first ever bath. The fleas just seemed to overtake us all at once. Gotta go get some more medicine for them. Guess the first batch wore off.

I really have tried to like radishes, but have just never acquired the taste. DH can eat them all that he wants.

We're hatching the last out of the incubator right now. Mostly SCRIR's out of a friends flock. We're going to try crossing them with ours and see how they do. There are a couple of our SCRIR in there and maybe a couple of crossbreds. Sent a batch of ducks to Rolling Ridge today. Now just to hope for another batch to hatch in about 3 wks. If I can keep him supplied through til fall that would be great. At least then I would have a guaranteed outlet for the muscovy ducklings.

emilosevich

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Good to see QA and Becca on Friday along with E. I came home with a goat at a really good price because the owner knew she would be something I'm looking for. She is a 1/2 sister to my buck. I think that puts our goat count up to 14 with 5 of them being babies. Not much else going on around here right now. It's much to hot to be doing much of anything today. We're having sandwiches for supper.

I think I'm going to spend the evening on the couch doing some crocheting. I have quite a few projects I'm supposed to be working on. Got the yarn for a blanket for QA's new little one and will be starting that tonight. It always makes me happy to work on baby stuff. :love