Making Liver/organ meats Palatable

Kassaundra

Power Conserver
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Ohter than feeding them to the chickens, or dogs, most of your suggestions still make the livers taste like liver. the idea is to flavour or hide the taste fo liver , for thse of us who cant stand the taste of liver. I've tried several ways of cooking liver, and in the end, it just still tasts like liver which is gross. i can understand tryin got hide it in with ground meat, though, that I might be able to do.
The logical reason is that liver is just to overpoweringly disgusting to disguise!!!! :lol:

If you hate it that much why are you wanting to find ways to eat it?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Many have a very specific reason for consuming offal.
They are literally the most nutrient dense foods.
They were consumed by traditional cultures all over the world until a little ways into the Industrial Age.
In the US we have been taught that these foods are toxic and who knows what else!

But, these are just one set of foods that when they were cast aside in favor of processed foods, contributed to poor facial conformation, crooked and crowded teeth, as well as decay.
Today we are told to take a pill to keep iron levels up, and to eat green veges.
However, our bodies require Heme? iron, that is readily absorbed by the body and put to good use.

Hattie the Hen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:frow

Years ago, when staying with friends in Germany, I was treated to a wonderful dish cooked with lambs liver. My friend had sliced it very thinly (this helps a lot to counteract the texture problems some people have with it) then soaked the pieces in milk for an hour. She then drained & patted them dry & dredged them in flour & dry herbs etc. They were then quick fried in bacon fat, to which a good glug of an orange liqueur was then added at the very end. This was extended with a bit of good meat stock/&/or fresh orange juice to make a delicious gravy.
My friend laughed as she served it & said she had got the most finicky eaters to eat liver with this recipe.
I agree with her....I have never found anyone who has actually tried it who wouldn't eat it again, children included.

The important thing to remember is to cut it VERY THIN & cook it FAST for a very SHORT TIME, otherwise it will taste like shoe-leather.
I add a shot of Worcestershire Sauce & a glug of my homemade chili sherry to the orange liqueur.......I make this too; it's called Orange Naughty in our family.........:lol:

:frow Hattie :frow

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I like liver, but NOT liverwurst. As far as I'm concerned, that's the wurst thing you can do to liver.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
Many have a very specific reason for consuming offal.
They are literally the most nutrient dense foods.
They were consumed by traditional cultures all over the world until a little ways into the Industrial Age.
In the US we have been taught that these foods are toxic and who knows what else!

But, these are just one set of foods that when they were cast aside in favor of processed foods, contributed to poor facial conformation, crooked and crowded teeth, as well as decay.
Today we are told to take a pill to keep iron levels up, and to eat green veges.
However, our bodies require Heme? iron, that is readily absorbed by the body and put to good use.
Yup, and poor facial conformation and crooked teeth are just a readily visible symptom. The entire skeletal structure does not form correctly. There are a lot of breathing and sinus problems because there is not enough room in the smaller skull for proper development of the sinuses, and for women, there are some dangerous consequences. The pelvis forms a more eliptical shape, rather than round, and this makes it very difficult (or impossible) to deliver a baby naturally. This has led to unnaturally long and painful labors and a huge rise in the need for C-sections.

The time for proper nutrition to prevent this is, well, always! but especially when a couple wants to have a baby....they both, but especially the woman, need to eat nutrient dense foods at least six months prior to getting pregnant. Then their sons and daughters won't have the problems described, the mal-formed skeletal structure. Imagine....no need for braces! :D

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Ok, aside from a small skull, what is considered poor facial conformation?

Never had liver before.. But I'd be willing to try!
Aside from liver and gizzards, what else can you eat?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Kassaundra said:
miss_thenorth said:
Ohter than feeding them to the chickens, or dogs, most of your suggestions still make the livers taste like liver. the idea is to flavour or hide the taste fo liver , for thse of us who cant stand the taste of liver. I've tried several ways of cooking liver, and in the end, it just still tasts like liver which is gross. i can understand tryin got hide it in with ground meat, though, that I might be able to do.
The logical reason is that liver is just to overpoweringly disgusting to disguise!!!! :lol:

If you hate it that much why are you wanting to find ways to eat it?
What they said. :) I would much rather find nutrient dense foods from which to get my vitamns/minerals, as opposed to taking a pill. I have had low B12 for over 10 years now, but since not eating gluten, my body is now starting to absorb it again. But, I figure it can only help if I eat a B12 rich food source, and liver seems to be #1, with clams coming in second. Since I have access to lots of liver, we hunt deer, turkey, rabbit etc, raise lamb, rabbit, chicken etc. Lately the dogs have been getting the liver and offal. But if I can incorporate it into my meals, then all the better for me. Next lamb we process, i will grind up the liver with my lamburger.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Blackbird said:

Never had liver before.. But I'd be willing to try!
Aside from liver and gizzards, what else can you eat?
It is extremely rare now to see good bone structure. You can spot it by the width of the face and the jaw, and the teeth are not crowded, straight and beautiful with no cavities. I know NO ONE like this.

If you look at very old photos of models (l920's, maybe), you will see this. Modern models used be closer to this ideal, but I've noticed that some companies are going for the extreme again, the very narrow jawline and the "no chin" look. Probably the same people who thought "heroin chic" was attractive. :rolleyes:

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Yes, the narrow jaw line and crowded teeth are a dead give away. My teeth are naturally straight, but crowded. The crowding traps debris, and even with brushing and flossing they are hard to keep clean. Crowding and a high carb diet really promotes cavities.

There are comparison photos that Dr. Weston Price took in the 30's on this page...
http://www.ppnf.org/catalog/ppnf/price.htm

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My mom always fried it up with lot's of onions. I likes it, but was weirded out by it at the same time :p
And this reminds me that I have beef liver in the freezer that I haven't been brave enough to get out. Maybe I'll give it to Mom for Christmas. She would love it.