Making $$ on persimmons?

ChickenPotPie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We've got a LOAD persimmons in the orchard of the property we're renting (we have use of the orchard). I thought I should sell some because, even if I got really creative, I could only use about 1/5 of them at most.

I go to rabbit shows where people sell/take orders for homemade items, produce, and such sometimes. I have time to take orders for delivery to a show on the 11/12th of December.

I just need to get an idea of what to ask for them/how to advertise to get the best response. I don't know much about this sort of thing as far as persimmons go because I really don't buy them. lol (of course)

I mean, before we lived here, I'd buy one maybe every 3 years. They're too expensive. :rolleyes: They're $1 each here for the crispy, pumpkin shaped ones (which is what I have).

Do you like persimmons? Do you buy them? How much do they go for in your area? If you don't buy them, what would make you want to? Price? Presentation? Packaging? Ideas for using them? Free samples?

I'd love any input you might share. :D Thank you.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I've never seen them for sale in this area. I'm assuming they're not the native ones. But, I love persimmons, I just don't normally get any. I'm not sure what I'd be willing to pay for them.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Like chicken! No, wait, that isn't right.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Google persimmon recipes. They are used in deer attractants too. You can make jellies and wine maybe...not sure on the wine. anyway, google it and see what you come up with.

ChickenPotPie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Like chicken! No, wait, that isn't right.
:yuckyuck

Okay, so I've decided that since they're from a home orchard and not completely blemish free, AND I want them gone, I'm going to ask 25 cents each. :)

Ideas I've come up with for the ones I keep:

Persimmon chips (thin, crispy)
Dried persimmon (thin, chewy)
Dried, diced persimmon (cubed for baking)
Persimmon jam
Persimmon butter
Persimmon roll-ups (fruit leather)
Persimmon pulp (canned for recipes)
Canned persimmon (sliced like apples)

Any other ideas? :)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I bet they would sell better, also, if you were to xerox off some sheets with a few recipes or at least weblinks *to* recipes, that you could give out to those who were interested in trying persimmons but really had no idea what to do with them :)

Look at it this way, if you sell them at 25c this year it will give you a good sense of whether you should adjust that price any for *next* year, and as you say, it'll tend to help send them on their way :)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So, Murphysranch. What would you say is your most favorite fruit in the whole wide world?

PERSIMMONS!!!!! Specifically the Hachiya - the one that is pear shaped and has to be goopy, clearish, and super soft. We had a tree in San Jose that I planted and I coveted those fruits every fall.

25 cents ea is very cheap....but that is around here in CA.

Latest posts