Making some soap, and guess what? Pics...

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
it brings out the Dr. in me... "i do not like green eggs or spam, i do not like them, sam i am, i don't like spam that tastes like soap, i do not want it on a rope" but the soap looks great. good job! that's going to be one of my next projects but right now I'm working hard to clean out and rearrange the glass house so i can get started working with the glass. my granddaughter had my building full of her furniture and things all winter and just moved them out this last weekend.
what did you use to color your spam and the other bars too? i have to get a mold box built and then i can get started. soon.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have been playing with some soap recipes, which sound similar to the ingredients you have mentioned. Bought a book with recipes, calling for olive oil and I think they all have lye in them.
I did that because the glycerine I was using, got too expensive. Well, I only attempted a very basic one, but the first attempt I did didn't seem to turn out so good.
I brought both the oil and the lye/water solution each up to 130 F before mixing the lye into the olive oil and stirred every few minutes until I thought it was time to pour into some greased molds, but in less than a day there was a layer of oil on the surface of the soap. I waited a while and decided to pour it all back in a pot and heat it up again and stir some more, until it looked more like thin mayo and repoured into the molds.
Well, they look better, but still not like anything I can pop out of the molds.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Hubby's talking about making soap, but I just don't have the time now. Maybe over the winter.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Okay.....so update on my problem....I just needed another day and was able to pop out.
But maybe I can get another mold to fix a larger batch and get all fancy.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh....and my DD26 (the one with a master's degree in biology) decides to tell me last night that she made lye in chemistry class in about an hour. Well, thanks baby girl :(

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
So, did she offer to make it for you?

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No way and if she hasn't figured out years ago that I wanted to learn to make soap, then she must have been too caught in her books....from Harry Potter on to her Master's Term.
And she didn't even give me a copy of her thesis.
She doesn't pay any attention to me.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I make goat milk soap & sell at some bazaars or farm markets, generally during holidays. And 2 beauty shops have it there for sales. Yes, lye is required if it is "soap". I buy food grade lye and have it shipped. No chemicals. Bought a couple molds, made most. It's quite good, lathers well, cleans extremely well, nice skin after and I even wash my hair with it. Many commercial products have mucho chems and have taken most of the glycerin out before finished product. Soaps 001.JPG

Mine is made with cold method, so frozen milk used to mix with lye, then add to almost room temp oils. Much easier than you may think. Haven't tried colors yet but, may this winter. Use essential oils for any fragrance.SoBoHarvest.2013 008.JPG