Making some soap, and guess what? Pics...

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I make goat milk soap & sell at some bazaars or farm markets, generally during holidays. And 2 beauty shops have it there for sales. Yes, lye is required if it is "soap". I buy food grade lye and have it shipped. No chemicals. Bought a couple molds, made most. It's quite good, lathers well, cleans extremely well, nice skin after and I even wash my hair with it. Many commercial products have mucho chems and have taken most of the glycerin out before finished product. Soaps 001.JPG

Mine is made with cold method, so frozen milk used to mix with lye, then add to almost room temp oils. Much easier than you may think. Haven't tried colors yet but, may this winter. Use essential oils for any fragrance.SoBoHarvest.2013 008.JPG

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@Mini Horses tell us more, please? I would love to make soap, but I am so nervous about using chemicals. (I have 10 thumbs and are ridiculously accident prone!)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@modern_pioneer's soaps are :bow But right now I'm interested in dipping my toe and seeing how it goes! Any tips/tutorials you can share would be awesome.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I've never made soap. It's on my bucket list. And I'd like to try to make my own lye from ashes. I know it won't work quite the same as what you buy, but I'd still like to try.