Making the most out of a small space

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Wow is right!

I had a friend that had one spot only for a garden. It was about 5x20. She thought it was too small-until she talked to me and I came up w/a plan for it. I don't know if she's still planting anything in it or not.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Finally got round to catching up here, I've been so busy this past 2 weeks. I hope to be more settled and organised by Spring, so I can get started with some gardening here.

Those potatoes look wonderful! I want to grow some of those for sure and I'm thinking about carrots as well. I'm using quite a bit of them for my mealworms, partly because the beetles love them and mostly because they don't go mouldy overnight!

We saw some gem squash in SA that grows like a zucchini, instead of the usual runner and I asked my DH to bring me some seeds when I comes back (he's in SA at the moment). I cannot find gems here and love them :( I hope I can grow them here.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
After gardening for years in that tiny space, we moved to 8 acres in February. Unimproved land, sand, sand, sand, did I mention SAND? 1st year garden=TOTAL FAILURE. We are getting pine shavings with a little horse manure mixed in from a horse event center 7 miles from our house now and dumping them everywhere. Need humus so bad! It will take time to get the soil right. Planting fruit trees, berries and grapes this fall/winter/spring.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
You guys must know squashies?? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gem_squash

images.jpg
Unknown.jpg

They are the most heavenly things. We boil them, cut in half, and serve them with a little sugar and butter, traditionally, but they're great with a little creamed sweetcorn in as well.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
look a lot like an acorn squash. I like to cut in half, scoop out and bake my acorns, with some butter & brown sugar. Yum.