Making the most out of a small space

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@sumi how's it going? What is winter like? Can you plant anything in the winter? Have you been able to plot out a garden yet? Our garden spot is now fenced with 2"x4"x48" non climb horse wire and 6" to a foot deep in pine shavings from the horse event center. We got 3 feeder pigs and the garden is their home for the winter. They are happily rooting the garden up.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
No progress, we had to move :barnie I'm camping in a friend's house at the moment and looking for something to rent down in Co Cork, while the locals are trying to find me something, so I can stay here. I'll see who gets there first! lol My DH is flying over on Friday and asked him to please bring some squash seeds for me, to plant next Spring. This winter I'm going to try some spinach and see how it goes..

Oh my, I'm sure those pigs are in heaven! They are wonderful for this task, aren't they?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Sorry you had to move. What happened, or can't you post it?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So sorry you haven't been able to put down roots. It's hard to make plans when things are so up in the air. Hope things change and that you get to the perfect place soon!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Sorry @Denim Deb can't talk about it. Long, messy story.

Here's hoping! I am dying to settle down for good. I really am.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh Sumi, that is just awful. Sorry you are having troubles. I hope you can find your perfect home soon. Sometimes when everything is going to crap, a door opens up, just a crack, and a sliver of light shines through. With the help of the Lord, a path will open up for you.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No one ever stole anything from the garden. But then, I planted tomatoes up close to the house, LOL! In the picture above, the two small beds at the bottom (they were at the street) were planted in potatoes, as was the bed behind the blue tub. Here's what I got out of those 3 beds.

View attachment 1070

You got 2 dogs, a young girl, and a bunch of potatoes out of three beds? That's amazing! I never knew dogs came from beds and I thought kids grew in cabbage patches? You must have a special blend of fertilizer hu?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You got 2 dogs, a young girl, and a bunch of potatoes out of three beds? That's amazing! I never knew dogs came from beds and I thought kids grew in cabbage patches? You must have a special blend of fertilizer hu?
I am a fantastic gardener!