making use of the world's oldest free lighting source............

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Lupinfarms...we use a lot of tea light candles. They are quite small and burn themselves out in about 4 hours. I buy them by the bag (50 count) at Walmart. You can put them into nice calde holders and they really minimize the risk of fire...ours are all out by the time we head off to bed, so no worries about forgetting them . Just keep them away from curtains ;)

captchris

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
it gets light here aroend 6:00 am and dark before 5:30 pm this time of year so you can see we have to stay up later than sun down. now i have freinds in yellowknife the land of the midnight sun so they have the problem solved for them

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
captchris said:
it gets light here aroend 6:00 am and dark before 5:30 pm this time of year so you can see we have to stay up later than sun down. now i have freinds in yellowknife the land of the midnight sun so they have the problem solved for them
When I lived up Timmins way, it used to get dark in the winter around 4:30. Now here, near Chatham, it gets dark about 5:30. Summers were niceup there--got dark around 10pm. I miss the north!

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
captchris said:
When I lived up Timmins way, it used to get dark in the winter around 4:30. Now here, near Chatham, it gets dark about 5:30. Summers were niceup there--got dark around 10pm. I miss the north!
Whaaaa? It starts to get dark at 4PM here in the winter, and we're 20 minutes north of Belleville. Summers it's about 9:30-45 :)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
After I wrote that, I started thinking...I think it was around 4pm. It's been 5 years since I lived up there, so the memory is getting a little foggy. I still would much rather be up there than down here though.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ohhh Yeah, I used to live in Bowmanville just east of Oshawa and 45 minutes east of Toronto. I much prefer it here, north of Belleville, it's quieter.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I have always struggled to live within the non-seasonal confines of modern society. It makes a ton more sense to change your daily ritual based upon current daylight and temperature conditions. On winter days when I don't work, I can get up with the sun and go to bed earlier than I would in the summer. My husband and I, regardless of the season, always work until the sun goes down and then come in for dinner. I hate coming home from work in the dark and having to do chores. It feels all wrong.