Making Wood Stove Glass Cleaner

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So I got this jotul wood stove with a glass door that has to be cleaned every freakin morning..

White Vinegar works good for the stuff that is not cooked on too hard.
For that we have been using a product from Meeco called Woodstove Glass Cleaner. It works well, but, BUT at $6.79 for a 16 ounce bottle it gets spendy, I think. We used one bottle in 5 weeks. Eats up all my savings from making my own laundry soap!

The label says its made with sodium Hydroxide.

Thats lye isn't it?

Does anyone make their own wood stove glass cleaner?

If I were to try to make my own out of lye what dilution would be good? They say not to get this stuff on your hands but I have and it doen't burn.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
While I can't help you with a homemade version of wood stove glass cleaner, I can suggest an alternative that works in a pinch. Oven cleaner. It does a great job, but you have to be care not to get it on any painted parts.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I did try oven cleaner but I have been advised that eventually it will pit the glass.

Whats a magic eraser big brown horse?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Mackay, magic eraser is made by Mr. Clean. It is a micro fiber sponge...that is the only way I know how to describe it. It is a white sponge that works really well without any cleaners on really tough spots or stains. I use it to clean the junk off the burner area of my stove and the inside of my oven door. :)

johnElarue

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I use wet newspaper on the glass when it's cool, a dab of dish soap if it's really bad.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I just clean it at the end of the season! :lol: A really hot fire seems to move the dirt around quite a bit. Slow fires really build up the crud on the glass. At the end of the season, I just use a heavy duty all purpose cleaner (I use Snap brand. It is not heavily scented, so I can tolerate it well.)

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I just use vinegar, with hot water and a couple of drops of dishwashing soap. I use a scrubby sponge and scrub if there are difficult spots....

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My husband has been known to use a straight razor to take off the really baked on stuff. Seems to work for him and it's super cheap. I personally don't mind the "well-used" look. ;)