Making yogurt

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I'm all set to make yogurt! I just need a cooler :D

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
#1 - What kind of milk do you use? usually 2% organic milk from the store, but I have used nice whole local pasturized milk

#2 - Do you heat it, and if so, how high? - 180

#3 - When do you add your starter culture? - I add it after it cools to 110. I cool it down quicker in a bowl of ice water because I am impatient and if you add the culture to hot it will kill it.

#4 - What do you use for a starter? - usually Stonyfield farm vanilla

#5 - How do you maintain/renew your starter? - Never thought to freeze it- great idea!

#6 - How do you incubate your yogurt? - Six pack cooler with a mason jar of hot water.

#7 - How do you make it thicker? - I would like it to be thicker. Sometimes I add powdered milk when I am heating it and it seems to make it thicker, but then I read here (I think WZ) that powdered milk is produced in a fairly toxic manner. I don't remember exactly what the problem was (I didn't have time to follow that thought up right then and there, and lost it). So now I have a box of powdered milk that I will never use in my closet...

chickensducks&agoose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
#1 - What kind of milk do you use? Whole milk from BJ's (Horizon brand) for 3.39 a 1/2 gallon

#2 - Do you heat it, and if so, how high? - I just heat it on the stove, stirring, until it starts to get excited.

#3 - When do you add your starter culture? - I add it after it cools to a comfortable temp. baby bathwater? i put the pan in the cold water-sink, to cool it faster.

#4 - What do you use for a starter? - I started with Stonyfield plain, but have just been using left over yogurt from the previous batch.

#5 - How do you maintain/renew your starter? - I just don't let the kids eat the last 1/2 pint jar..

#6 - How do you incubate your yogurt? - A cooler! Last night I made a whole 1/2 gallon in a cooler instead of using our little electric maker... I added a gallon jug of HOT water to the cooler.. it was still warm this morning!

#7 - How do you make it thicker? - .Powdered milk... but now I'm hearing it's bad?

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Ha! I found it- and it was Wifezilla who posted it:

No-Carb Queen

E-mail PM Website Re: Dry Milk"POWDERED MILK
When they make dried skim milk, first of all it is forced through a tiny hole at high pressure, and then blown out into the air. This causes a lot of nitrates to form and the cholesterol in the milk is oxidized. Those of you who are familiar with my work know that cholesterol is your best friend; you don't have to worry about cholesterol except you do not want to eat oxidized cholesterol. Oxidized cholesterol is used in research to cause atherosclerosis. So when you drink skim milk or low fat milk because you think that it will help you avoid heart disease, you are actually drinking this oxidized cholesterol which initiates the process of heart disease. "

http://www.consumerhealth.org/articles/ 1005222648

You would be better off with the beer than powdered milk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------