Making your own clothes?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have to buy everything new this year for hunting, besides my boots, since the ex kept everything. So, I've been looking around. I'm definately buying my bow this year, in fact, next week. :D The one price that I don't want to pay is for hunting clothes. I mean, for real, $60 for an under shirt?! I plan on making fleece undergarments, but can you make your own outer garments? I want something waterproof/highly water resistant and obviously camoflauge. I'd prefer something that is "tick-resistant" as well. The one set of outer clothes I wore last year was awesome for winter, but I couldn't walk more than ten feet without having thirteen ticks on me. The fabric was just a tick magnet. So, any ideas? Does anyone else make their own clothes for hunting?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Never tried, but how about a poncho? Fleece covered with something ripstop nylon? It would be easy and could double as a chilly weather raincoat?

My fiance wear fleece lined jeans. So if you pick up a pair that are a size too large and line them with fleece - should be easy. I might try that!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I have never made hunting clothes, but they are just clothes after all. It is the fabric that matters. You'll need to find a source for the fabric you are looking for. And then look for simple patterns that would work with the type of fabric that you are using.
I have seen camouflage fabric at fabric stores, but in that case it was just for the pattern and not the special material required for hunting.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Okay, here's a trick that we use during spring gobbler season for the ticks. Wear panty hose. Pull them up as high as you can get them on the waist and wear them under your clothes. At least they won't be in "warm places" ahem, if you know what I mean.

I bought a good pair of coveralls and I wear regular clothes under those. They have lasted for years and I don't foresee replacing them anytime soon. It was well worth the money.

I have a double ladder tree stand with a camo cover on the outside of it and if it is supposed to be really cold I will take a fleece blanket with me in my pack to put around my legs. A good pair of wool socks and a good pair of insulated boots is worth the money too. I also bought a cheap long sleeved camo shirt to wear under my coveralls and if I get a little hot in the stand I can always just unzip the top and roll them down to my waist while I'm sitting in the blind.

Panther Creek Homestead

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Well I made my dad some hunting pants for rabbit hunting. He wanted something that was slicky to keep the briars from snagging and scratching them. I cannot for the life of me remember the material but imagine coverall material with some sort of coating. You couldn't tear these things with two bulldozzers. They are waterproof and he has used them for about 6 years now and they are durable.

Our tick proof is to put on all clothes and get the largest size tube sock you can find and put that on and over the bottoms of all your pants, etc. pulling them up to your knees. Looks horrible, but it works keeps all those ticks from finding you under the clothes.

ETA: this is the material i got for the pants.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Teal-Nylon-Waterproof-Material-Factory-Grade-Item-124-/230432000270?pt=US_Fabric

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Mind you I am generally in favor of making one's own clothes if material is available (unfortunately hard to achieve these days unless you know an outlet that sells mills' bolt-ends or come across a large cache at a garage sale -- the stuff they sell at, like, Joanne's is just *garbage*)

However, hard-wearing outdoor coats and field pants are real hard to make well yourself, IME, particularly if you a) lack an "inside" source of the fabric and thus have to pay full retail if you can find something suitable at all, and b) lack a heavy-duty sewing machine and considerable experience sewing normal clothes (button-down shirts and jeans) already.

Frankly if it were me I would look real hard at thrift stores first. If I absolutely came up empty of anything usable by hunting season, I'd "splurge" on one GOOD marked-down field jacket or coat, and maybe a decent pair of pants as well. They will last years if well selected and well cared for. (Note that, me, I *do* sew lots of my own shirts and pants and running-into-town-for-errands type coats, at least I used to before I sprouted small kids and lots of house repairs :p, and I *still* buy outdoorsy outerwear, because I just cannot come close to duplicating it)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Frankly if it were me I would look real hard at thrift stores first. If I absolutely came up empty of anything usable by hunting season, I'd "splurge" on one GOOD marked-down field jacket or coat, and maybe a decent pair of pants as well. They will last years if well selected and well cared for. (Note that, me, I *do* sew lots of my own shirts and pants and running-into-town-for-errands type coats, at least I used to before I sprouted small kids and lots of house repairs :p, and I *still* buy outdoorsy outerwear, because I just cannot come close to duplicating it)
What she said. Seems like something that would be expensive and difficult to make by hand, but you are probably far more skilled than I.

Check out the 2nd hand stores. If this is just bow hunting, then layer whatever you want for warmth (if it gets cold--when is your season?) and get 1 decent outer layer of camouflage. If this is also for gun hunting, then at least around here you need actual blaze orange. I haven't been in a fabric store for decades, thank goodness (lived in them the first 15 years of life thanks so my mom's obsession), but do they even sell blaze orange?

Hope this isn't too wet blankety, so good luck!

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I kinda figured I'd have to buy the outer garments. :/ I was hoping not though, lol. But, a friend/the guy I've been seeing is going through his old hunting clothes and is going to give me whatever he doesn't use that I can fit into, so we'll see. I still want to make the underclothes. I wore eight layers of clothes last year in deer rifle season, so I don't want to have to buy that many sets of clothes at the price they sell them at!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I'd think you would just need to purchase the outer layer, and anything under that could be something you already have or something you made, right?

You could also find something way too big in the thrift store or Good Will or such stores, and re-make it to fit you. Or use the material and your own pattern. When I was a teen and we were super poor, we kids had to come up with our own school clothes. I wanted my pony, so I made all mine and used my meager farm work money to purchase and care for my pony. I made my clothes by digging through bags of cast-offs and re-making clothes from material from larger clothes....for example, I found a man's shirt that was a pink paisley (what were they thinking???) and made a great blouse. I used the fabric from a turtleneck with a stretched out neck to remake it into a tank top. I made warm vests for underneath my barn coat. I made skirts from dresses that were too small, by using material from the hem to make a waistband and letting out the gathers so it would fit. But I suppose you won't be wearing skirts while hunting, even if you do wear pantyhose! :p

Hope I gave you some ideas.

adoptedbyachicken

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Do you have an army surplus in your area? I agree with used or inexpensive outers and any layers under. Undershirts I got at the army surplus here great. Sadly after I decided I liked them best I went back to get more and they are not there. I wanted enough for work too!