Making your own clothes?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I never thought about an army store. Lol. They should have some nice, toasty underclothes. That might end up costing about the same anyways, and save me some time. Our thrift stores around here just stink. The ones that are inexpensive enough to be considered thrifty are so disorganized that it'd take hours to sift through the crap to try to find something like I'm looking for. Not to mention that they're small and rarely get anything good... mostly old lady clothes. The ones that might have it charge damn near full price on everything, and sometimes MORE than full price at a retail store!! I can always check the classifieds though... Thanks guys. :)

suburbanhomesteader

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I'm still trying to get over why in the world your ex would keep you clothes? It's not like she can use them.

Sadly, I have two ex-husbands but they got to keep all their stuff. I just could not make sense of keeping something that was theirs! #1 didn't feel the same, unfortunately, and I lost a lot of my woodworking equipment because he knew it was worth a lot. I made a deal with him; if you can show me how to use this, you can keep it. He didnt' go for the deal.

Maybe you could have made the same deal with her; if you put these clothes on and they fit, you can keep them!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I wanted to come back to this thread. I took my own advice! I bought a cute pair of tiny-bit-too-big jeans at a thrift store. Got woll flannel for cheap at a fabric store and lined the jeans. It was easy and took about an hour, plus a little hand-stitching around the zipper.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Army surplus sounds good. You could also ask the thrift shop people about hunting clothes. Sometimes they have something sitting in the back that they just haven't put out yet.

One weird tip- a touch of powdered sulfur rubbed around your ankles will repel ticks. An old country man told me to use it so I wouldn't get eaten alive by chiggers, but the ticks, mosquitoes, and gnats left me alone too. It smells, but hunters are always trying to disguise their body odor anyway.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
suburbanhomesteader said:
I'm still trying to get over why in the world your ex would keep you clothes? It's not like she can use them.

Sadly, I have two ex-husbands but they got to keep all their stuff. I just could not make sense of keeping something that was theirs! #1 didn't feel the same, unfortunately, and I lost a lot of my woodworking equipment because he knew it was worth a lot. I made a deal with him; if you can show me how to use this, you can keep it. He didnt' go for the deal.

Maybe you could have made the same deal with her; if you put these clothes on and they fit, you can keep them!
My ex didn't keep my clothes, but he kept the sewing machine, canning supplies, & cook books. Just spite, I guess. :/

Sorry to go off-topic. Could you maybe look on CL? Or E-Bay? I personally never have much luck with either, but I always read about other people finding all kinds of great deals or hard-to-find things there...