Man Jailed For Collecting Rain Water

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
If he did that, that's a whole nudder story all together.

txcanoegirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Well, he's not your average homeowner collecting roof runoff into a rain barrel, so I won't even go into the issues about size of his containment, method of containment, or whether he affected stream flow, but you have to look at where he lives. Oregon. Some states historically have huge water rights issues. Colorado is one, Oregon is another. Those are the two that pop into my head. The water rights laws in these states go back many, many, years. I believe that Oregon only recently began allowing homeowners to install rain barrels on a limited basis. I think (but could be mistaken) that Colorado still prohibits the collection of rain water. I live in Texas and the rain barrel prohibition will never happen here.

PNW_Steve

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Here in Washington State it was illegal to collect rainwater in any way (without permitting) until just a couple of years ago. The water that falls on the roof of your home belongs to the state. Recently that was amended to allow very limited rainwater collection for (limited) personal use.

IMHO: Rain falling on my roof belonging to the State is a bit over the top.....

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If you dig into these articles more the guy was restricting tributaries. Its really easy to let the headlines put blinders on you. But if you are worried about your local water rights look them up.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
rhoda_bruce said:
The longer I watch news or hear things, the more I think I need to keep under the radar for whatever I do.
Amen and Amen!

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Icu4dzs
Yesterday 10:17 pm rhoda_bruce wrote:
The longer I watch news or hear things, the more I think I need to keep under the radar for whatever I do.

Amen and Amen!
i do understand that too. i heard one of the most frightening thing today from a fellow sailor " if something bad happens I'm coming to your house" this was not a good friend or a trusted co-worker.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Unfortunately, there are a lot of people that think that way, even if they don't say it out loud. I would definitely not want to be a known Morman when SHTF... they will likely have hordes of neighbors knocking on their doors.
Even setting aside the question of the ants and the grasshopper... you can only afford to give away so much of your horde before you start endangering your own survival.

The fact of the matter is that the human population is growing too large, and whenever a species outgrows its resources there is a die-off. I am doing what I can to ensure that my family isn't part of that die-off

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the_whingnut said:
Icu4dzs
Yesterday 10:17 pm rhoda_bruce wrote:

Amen and Amen!
i do understand that too. i heard one of the most frightening thing today from a fellow sailor " if something bad happens I'm coming to your house" this was not a good friend or a trusted co-worker.
I think I would have been very honest with him and told him "not unless you're invited!" My house is protected by Smith&Wesson and G*d. If you come uninvited under those circumstances, you'll meet them BOTH, in that order!