Mandieg4 - Update and lots of new pics of kids and animals.

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It will be my last quarter for awhile. I can't get into the LPN program until January. I'm half tempted to switch to the Horticulture program for the next two semesters though. If I can afford it, I'd love to take some classes on greenhouse management and basic horticulture science.

I planted 2 Himrod, 2 Vanessa, and 2 Concord. I'm really excited about them and so is DH. We were sitting around the table eating pancakes when I told him I wanted to be able to produce 90% of our food within 5 years. He looked at his plate and simply stated you'd better plant some grapes then to make grape jelly because you can't make your own maple syrup. He doesn't care for my plum or peach jelly or my pear butter, silly man! He loves grape jelly and apple jelly though so that is what I chose to plant first.

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I candled my eggs one last time last night before lockdown starts on Saturday. I was pretty bummed out about the whole thing last week, I only saw two moving and couldn't see anything, except the air sac, in any of the other eggs. This time I saw at least 14 moving :ya I swear watching those baby chicks moving inside those eggs was just as exciting as when my own babies moved when I was pregnant. :love How silly is that?

We've had rain all week. I ventured out to the garden in the dark last night just to make sure nothing had been washed away. I think my onions have doubled in size. My tomatoes all look great. One of my peppers died, but I think it was more my fault than the rain. There was 6 peppers in a 4 pack so I separated the four that were sharing spots as best I could, but one didn't make it. I still ended up with one extra so that's not too shabby. Now if the rain will stay away for at least a week so the big garden can dry out enough to till I'll be a happy camper.

A friend of mine found me a baby rabbit yesterday. She knew I was planning on raising some and a friend of hers was trying to get rid of one. I didn't have anything ready, but definitely couldn't pass up a free rabbit. He's only about 6 weeks old and cute as he could be. Now I just need to get busy finding some bigger cages and at least 4 more rabbits.

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
IMAG0051.jpg

IMAG0050.jpg

IMAG0049.jpg

Onions, broccoli, and kohlrabi looking really good. Tomatoes and peppers finally in the ground. The potatoes still hiding.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
woah, you have green stuff...and its growing...im SOOO jealous! send some spring my way please!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Your garden beds are looking good.....I just love garden pics!

You have such an awesome wide open space, I am jealous!!

hillfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
very nice. I wish I had all the open room you do. I have trees galore. Love em, but make a garden tough. I do the raised boxes too. So easy to fill with good dirt. My tatoes are huge this year int the composted raised boxes.

enjoy the garden :thumbsup

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
5 of my eggs are hatching already and we just went into lockdown yesterday. What do I do? Leave them in the incubator until the rest hatch? I'm not supposed to open the incubator tomorrow right? :barnie ACK! This is so stressful!