Manual Laundry

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
That's a shame.... :(

One of my boys heard a boy at church talking down to his mother and he was astonished, must have made some comment about it because the kid asked him what he was going on about. My boy told him that if he spoke to his mom like that he'd be in a wheelchair! The kid just didn't connect with that reference and neither did his mother so I heard this shout from across the room~"Hey, Mom! What would you do to me if I talked back to you?" I shouted back, "I guess you better get real comfortable with sitting down the rest of your life!"

They still didn't get it and it had to be explained to them in detail..really spelled out. In plain and simple language, the child would be so severely damaged as to require wheelchair assistance for mobility after I had completed his discipline. No, I've never beat my children to that degree~though I have used corporal punishment~but they seem to think I might and I could see myself leaving a solid impression of that eventuality if the occasion arose.

I guess it all has to do with intent and intimidation...they generally trust that when I say I'm going to follow through with a punishment, I will. I'm pretty consistent with discipline because children like to push the boundaries and when they find a weakness, they will work on that crack until it's a veritable canyon and then you've lost all control.

When you are raising boys, the sad truth is that one day they tower over you and are looking down on this short woman...when they are looking down they better very well have some idea of the power behind that little person that raised them~if not, they will not only look down on you but they will step on you as well. I refuse to be any man's doormat~even my own sons'. I love them but they need to learn respect for me and that started when they came home from the hospital as babies.

It also helps that I am very strong~at my oldest son's 16th birthday party I beat 5 teen boys at the party in arm wrestling and finally lost to the 6th boy due to muscle fatigue. No, I'm not butch, but I have worked hard all my life and this puts on some muscle.

In the end you gotta say what you mean and mean what you say...and always follow through. :)

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
SSDreamin said:
Would you be willing to write a book?! I'd be first in line to buy it!!! :D My 12 yr old son thinks I am the maid (and I promise, I have insisted he do things for himself since age 8 - he USED to cook, clean, wash dishes and has done his own laundry). He has taken to talking down to me, and being VERY insulting. :barnie
So sorry to hear that, but I'd be inclined to stop doing anything for him. He'll learn pretty darn quick that he had better show some respect, and start taking care of his own affairs, if you stop doing for him.

I'd also be dropping some very heavy hints about how girls like to be treated and how that starts with Mom--if he can't treat you like a lady he's never going to find a girlfriend/wife.

Maschil

Power Conserver
Reaction score
ive heard of an idea. Basically get your detergent. a 5 gallon bucket- one with a lid that has a hole big enough to fit a stick, and use the stick as your turning cycle with your cloths and detergent in the bucket. less work on your hands.... and works good if your just cleaning and not trying to a stain out...

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
With kids, mine are still young yet, but some people say I'm very strict. My sister used to be one of those people, until the day my parents were watching the boys and took them to her house... They get away with EVERYTHING with their grandparents, and we constantly get into fights about it... Like all out fights. Anyways, the other day my sister told me about how horrible they acted when they were with our parents, and how they were completely different children with me. She also told me that the little "pity lip" thing that my youngest does now drives her CRAZY, because that gets him out of anything with my step-dad. I've actually started putting citric acid on his lip when he sticks it out. Boy is that stuff SOUR, and he doesn't like it, so he's quickly curbing that little charade. My other son will stick his finger in it and eat it, and so will this kiddo, BUT when it's meant as a punishment, he gets it, lol. Anyways, everyone always comments on how well behaved my boys are. Strict or not, whatever anyone wants to call it, I refuse to accept disrespect. Even with my parents, when my youngest screams at one of them, I smack his arse and make him sit in the corner. They of course try to sneak him treats while he's there, but it's only blowing up in their face... The kids don't listen to them anymore, disrespect them, etc. It drives me nuts, because I don't want hoodlems, but then sometimes it's also one of those "Told you so" moments.

As for laundry, no freaking way. I've washed pillows and such by hand and it's MISERABLE. I'm too finicky when it comes to my laundry... I don't even like a clothes line!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Maschil said:
ive heard of an idea. Basically get your detergent. a 5 gallon bucket- one with a lid that has a hole big enough to fit a stick, and use the stick as your turning cycle with your cloths and detergent in the bucket. less work on your hands.... and works good if your just cleaning and not trying to a stain out...
This works really well if you use a (clean!) toilet plunger, there is even a gadget meant for this that looks like a toilet plunger but has vent holes in it to swirl the water better. Lehman's sells it: http://www.lehmans.com/store/Home_Goods___Laundry___Washing___Breathing_Hand_Washer___1138390?Args=

The only laundry I don't like doing by hand is jeans, because they are so hard to wring out. Sheets and duvet covers are just fine but I've never tried washing a pillow by hand!

Maschil

Power Conserver
Reaction score
moolie said:
Maschil said:
This works really well if you use a (clean!) toilet plunger, there is even a gadget meant for this that looks like a toilet plunger but has vent holes in it to swirl the water better. Lehman's sells it: http://www.lehmans.com/store/Home_Goods___Laundry___Washing___Breathing_Hand_Washer___1138390?Args=

The only laundry I don't like doing by hand is jeans, because they are so hard to wring out. Sheets and duvet covers are just fine but I've never tried washing a pillow by hand!
thanks i think i may get one. this is very affordable...

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
moolie said:
Maschil said:

I have one of those plunger things (the cheaper plastic one :p ) from Lehman's. For jeans, I got a big commercial type mop bucket/wringer. Takes a while, because you can only do one adult pair at a time, but it works!

Liz Demag

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
puberty... he would have done anything I asked of him a few years ago but he hit 13 /14 and that was all gone! I have faith that he will quickly grow out of this, as a few of you have said I have already stopped doing some of the things i used to for him and i think he is getting the point. Yes those plunger things are great. Good idea about the mop bucket for jeans! I may just have to use that!

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Liz Demag said:
puberty... he would have done anything I asked of him a few years ago but he hit 13 /14 and that was all gone! I have faith that he will quickly grow out of this
Well, as I look back on my own growing-up, I'd agree that puberty was when the "sloth" (as Beekissed called it) as well as the rebellion grabbed hold of me. And, as with many other aspects of life, practical incentives can encompass both "the carrot and the stick" - the unpleasant or punishment types being the stick, the attractive or pleasant types being the carrot.

In my own case, the aspect of it all that seemed to work most as a factor for more maturity and self-responsibility was jobs. I worked, so the money went into my pocket, so I could spend it or save it, saving allowed for more significant purchases. Hence, by managing the proceeds of my work, I saw myself as more responsible for my own fate. It's not so much materialism ("things") being encouraged as maturity and responsibility.

To be sure, there is always some sort of role for some sort of punishment, and parents have to wield the stick in some way, too. But when a kid feels that he is "growing up", by having a job, it may be possble to reason with him about being more mature by contributing to the household in other ways, too.

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I re-use clothing quite a bit and especially more so when times are tight or when there is no electricity available. I agree that people wash their clothing too often...and often their bodies too often as well.
LOL I've known way too many who don't wash their clothes OR bodies NEARLY enough! LOL Kinda scary when you know them by their smell, before they've even opened the door of the Post Office! (which is really the only place I see anyone) lol