Many hens few eggs

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I counted best I could the.othet day and I have like 32 hens. I'm still scratching my head just how this happened... About 1/2 of my hens are going on 2 years old, the rest are going on 1 year old. I'm getting like 5 eggs a day :( I'm finding eggs that have been eaten, so I got egg eating hens :( :( :( l already know at least 1/2 the hens need to go into the freezer (older ones). But what can I do about the egg eaters? Do you think the feed I give them is low in calcium? Would crushed oyster shells help with the egg eating?

Thanks

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My take on egg eating and winter eggs:

"They say" that pullets will lay all winter without supplemental light.

I say, a lot depends on your lattitude, and the age of the pullets when they achieve sexual maturity in relation to the hours of available light, whether days are getting longer at that time or getting shorter at that time. Other factors to consider: breed of the bird, and strain of the bird within that breed. Protein content of the feed.

My best outcome re: having pullets lay during the winter without supplemental light was with pullets hatched in Feb. They achieved POL at around 16 weeks, before the summer solstice. Even at that, I only had one gal who continued laying all winter: an EE who gave me 3 eggs/week. I live at 44.5* lat. Folks south of that lat. have much better outcomes re: birds continuing to lay during the winter without supplemental light.

Since the second winter when egg production decreased to 0%, I have been providing supplemental light. I use my own protocol which is a combination of response to research and "what makes sense to me".

Warm spectrum light: research indicates that warm spectrum facilitates egg laying.

Allowing the flock to go through a natural decline in production which coincides with decreased day length and a molt. After my hens have entered or completed their molt, and egg production has decreased to as low as 0%, I start ramping up the light. I add about 1 - 2 hours/week, divided time between morning and evening. So, by the time they are at 14 hours/day, the light schedule looks like this. (on at 6:30 AM, off at 10 AM. On at 2:20 PM, off at 8:30 PM)

"They say": supplemental lighting should be provided in the morning so the birds go through a natural dusk, thus preventing the birds from going into panic mode when they are down on the floor doing chicken things when the lights suddenly go out at the end of the day. I say: this has never been a problem. No wild panic. Occasionally, there will be a slow learner. Generally, they learn to work with the lighting system and are up on the perches long before the lights go out.

In the past, I've used stick style solar landscaping lights, with a stick placed right below the supplemental light which is on a timer. This way when the big light goes out, the solar light provides some dim light for a bit. Not doing so this year, b/c I've not had a solar light which works well.

Re: egg eating. I say that egg eating is a response to end or beginning of laying cycle when shell glands are not functioning at their needed capacity. Increased problems could also be related to overall poor diet, lack of calcium, calcium intake out of synch with other needed vitamins and minerals. In particular, Vitamin D is necessary for calcium uptake. Other minerals also play a role in Ca++ uptake.

Egg eating occurs when shell quality is lacking. Other causes include exploratory pecking when young pullets are coming into POL, and are exploring the nest boxes and the contents of those boxes. Increase shell quality, and you will most often find that egg eating becomes a distant memory. (Oyster or egg shell, increased protein, especially animal protein, multi-vits)

Other causes of egg eating: crowding, birds who don't get opportunity to engage in normal chicken behavior. (give those birds extra greens, free range opportunities, sprouts, deep litter in coop and run, bales of hay to work on, multi level and other exploration opportunities in coop and run.) Or there may be one or more birds in the flock who have chronic metabolic deficiencies. This will present as a bird who consistently lays a weak shelled, leather or rubber egg, or an egg completely lacking membranes. Or it could present as a bird who simply does not meet her dietary needs as well as the other flock members. She is always seeking extra protein. I would cull either of these birds.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Shame on ya'll....talking about all these chickens made me go straight to the Ideal Poultry site... I've got 20+ chickens in the cart - haven't made myself hit "buy" yet. Naked Necks - I almost forgot how much I love them. I have two hens and I want more! They lay a nice big egg and are pretty dependable. One of the descriptions I saw said they don't go broody - on another site it said they did. My girl did go broody and was a wonderful, ferociously protective mother. She's the only broody on my place that successfully raised babies this year. So...I might want more. I also have some Black Australorps in the cart - I've been pleased with them in the past - and I think maybe some more Silver Gray Dorkings. Had them before and liked them as much for butchering as for eggs. Not the best layers but the extra males have a breast that goes on forever - really nice dual purpose breed.

Still 'thinking' about hitting the "check out" button. Need more girls so.....

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Personally, I just don't like the thought of totally changing the flock every other year. It's too much effort to butcher, etc. Besides, I like my chickens & mixed birds. :rolleyes:

I have a flock of RIRs that are calm and huge. Bought from a breeder. Now, they do not lay the largest egg -- disappointed. But they are broody and easy to manage. In past have enjoyed BOs & BRs. I will add more of those this year once I find an acceptable flock from which to buy.

A couple of years ago I bought some expensive chicks from My Pet Chicken, "super blues". Cross breeds...they won't tell what but obviously some blue egg & leghorns. Mine never gave me the darker colored eggs I wanted (just pale blue) BUT, they have proven themselves as layers of large eggs, consistently. Most have the flight of leghorns, are excellent foragers and, oddly, most have the genetic broodiness from the "blu layers". They have been excellent mother hens. This year I will put 5 of them with my pure roo (Americana) for attempting to produce the blue egg shells I want. He & the Marans are giving me lovely greens. Yeah, just a "fun" thing and customers love them! :D

This old lady can "play" with her crazy flocks. :old

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am king of this coop and this here is my queen!
IMG_20190106_174900895_TOP.jpg

Your funny rooster, no I am king and I have many queens! And if you don't shut up, I will poop on you.
IMG_20190106_174857612.jpg

I have 1 hen rain or shine, everyday. She sees me open the gate. Runs into the coop, jumps up on the upper roost. When I open the door to the coop and step inside she jumps off the roost and lands on my head. I have to remember to put my hoodie on. She stays there perched on top of my head, until I leave the coop and enter the yard. Then she jumps off my head into the yard. What a crazy girl.

Last edited:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I heard a lot of different opinions on the egg laying performance of different breeds, but I think a lot has to do with the quality of the breeding stock, feeding, etc, etc. I had a few RIR and I absolutely adored them. Really sweet birds and good layers. Here's my favourite one (enough said)

11075253_1563578563902248_3999313728391573803_n.jpg

Latest posts