Many hens few eggs

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have a community next box that I made a removable cage for. It's fairly simple, if I don't want them laying in the community box I put the cage over it. But if I want a hen to go broody, I remove the cage and several hens lay eggs in the box. A hen will eventually go broody and sit tight on those eggs. I then slip the cage over top of the community box, give her, her own food and water and wait for the hatch. I don't have to worry about moving her and the eggs and she's isolated, yet can see the rest of the flock.
Can you post pics of that?

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I had a few hens go broody on me last year, but I had no way of keeping them in the same box and other hens out. This might be an option. The hens would often changecwhich box they would go in and leave the ones tgey were sitting on. This way maybe I can prevent that.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have 2 seclusion options in my coop for broody boxes. One is raised above the pop door, about 2' x 4'. Unless I'm dealing with a broody, that area remains open as a community nest box. That box has doors which can be opened from the back to create the option of making a run for broody to take her chicks outside, or even for the broody to do her periodic walk-a-bouts while she's setting a clutch of eggs. Down side of this area is that the exit is about 3.5' above the ground, thus not a viable option for baby chicks to come and go.

The second option is: blocking off the bottom 3 nest boxes so the broody can set on her eggs in one double nest, and come/go from a little broody run when I open the egg gathering door during the day.

In any coop of decent size, it would be very easy to make a broody area simply by blocking off a corner, and adding an other pop door which could be used only when necessary.

@Beekissed has even used bales of hay to build broody areas or a separate area to brood chicks.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I consider long sleeves and heavy leather gloves to be necessary equipment when dealing with a broody. An other handy option is a long sleeved shirt with loose sleeves, or a jacket where by the sleeves can be pulled down over the hand. Allows me to scoop eggs into my hand without getting bit.

Nah... To much of a hastle and advance planning - beside a little blood never hurt no one :rolleyes:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Man... You all are putting the fear of God in me (infections). Only time I wear gloves is when my hands are cold. My hand/arms stay skint up and I don't ever recall getting any infections.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
All it takes is one! You may go your entire life without getting an infection from your soil or farm animals. BUT, a single infection will definitely make you sit up and take notice. And, any open skin on my hands/arms is prone to infection by MRSA and any other nasty infectious organisms when ever I work. So, even if I have a hang nail that is "tender", I'm committed to wearing hot/sweaty rubber gloves when ever I have ANY patient contact.

Man... You all are putting the fear of God in me (infections). Only time I wear gloves is when my hands are cold. My hand/arms stay skint up and I don't ever recall getting any infections.

Proverbs 9:10. ;)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I wash my hands frequently but I don't use antibacterial soap, I'm a dishwashing liquid (palmolive) hand washer. I do however use antibacterial bar soap when I shower.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Looks like my hens are coming back on line finally. The farm store finally got some oyster shell in I loaded up the oyster shell section in the their drop box feeder Friday morning. Today I threw my hunting dog a pop egg (he gets the worst everyday) and even he had trouble cracking the shell. Oyster shell doesn't work that fast does it (4 days)?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Looks like my hens are coming back on line finally. The farm store finally got some oyster shell in I loaded up the oyster shell section in the their drop box feeder Friday morning. Today I threw my hunting dog a pop egg (he gets the worst everyday) and even he had trouble cracking the shell. Oyster shell doesn't work that fast does it (4 days)?

Not likely, but you never know. Were they still thin and brittle 4 days ago but now they are not?