Many hens few eggs

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You would be right!

I often let my broody -- when I notice the beginning, to sit a golf ball a few days, then give her eggs once I see she's intent.

You would have a hard time deciding who's who with all BOs. The one who growls at you is the broody :lol:

A broody hen gets pretty doggone temperamental, I think more mental then temper. I'm like do I really want to stick my hand in there? Well no choice... i say to myself, suck it up butter cup. Which breaks something loose in my mind, thereby allowing me supernatural powers to get my hand and arm pecked up one side and down the other without feeling any pain, dispite the blood. :)

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I consider long sleeves and heavy leather gloves to be necessary equipment when dealing with a broody. An other handy option is a long sleeved shirt with loose sleeves, or a jacket where by the sleeves can be pulled down over the hand. Allows me to scoop eggs into my hand without getting bit.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I consider long sleeves and heavy leather gloves to be necessary equipment when dealing with a broody. An other handy option is a long sleeved shirt with loose sleeves, or a jacket where by the sleeves can be pulled down over the hand. Allows me to scoop eggs into my hand without getting bit.

Nah... To much of a hastle and advance planning - beside a little blood never hurt no one :rolleyes:

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My husband had to get a tetanus shot and antibiotics when he was attacked by our rooster. He was very I'll (almost passed out) within hours, the infection set in fast (and he had cleaned it immediately after) so I'm going to go with gloves and long sleeves are a good plan.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
In my line of work, I can't afford to have open skin on my hands/arms from ANY cause. Thus, I wear gloves even when handling fire wood. I once got a nasty bacterial/fungal infection in my nail bed from digging in soil with bare hands. It took prescription medication to clear it up.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Man... You all are putting the fear of God in me (infections). Only time I wear gloves is when my hands are cold. My hand/arms stay skint up and I don't ever recall getting any infections.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
All it takes is one! You may go your entire life without getting an infection from your soil or farm animals. BUT, a single infection will definitely make you sit up and take notice. And, any open skin on my hands/arms is prone to infection by MRSA and any other nasty infectious organisms when ever I work. So, even if I have a hang nail that is "tender", I'm committed to wearing hot/sweaty rubber gloves when ever I have ANY patient contact.

Man... You all are putting the fear of God in me (infections). Only time I wear gloves is when my hands are cold. My hand/arms stay skint up and I don't ever recall getting any infections.

Proverbs 9:10. ;)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Only time I wear gloves is when my hands are cold. My hand/arms stay skint up and I don't ever recall getting any infections.
I'm the same way....and it's not a good look for a girl, lol. I like to think I'm immune to a lot because I have such high exposure...but I know it's not totally true. I'm just stubborn and can't work well with gloves. I might have to make that one of the things I learn to do.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score

I'm the same way, CC. Gloves are for cold hands or when one is handling briars or some such. To me they just get in the way and having to put them on and take them off again while trying to do fine work is a recipe for putting them down somewhere and losing them.

The answer is not washing your hands so often so that your natural bacteria layer on the skin is intact, never using antiseptic hand gel...EVER, building a good immune system and taking normal precautions when you have a cut or injury.

For snake like broodies, I'm not above pinning their heads down with a tool or stick and grabbing their necks, pulling them off the nest and doing what I want to do, letting them back on when I'm done. I don't tolerate it well when they bite the hand that feeds them...they get rough, I get rough.

Latest posts