1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Help this member, He is in the Kitchen! - Discussion Threads
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Many hens few eggs

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by CrealCritter, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Dec 30, 2018
    Lazy Gardener

Lazy Gardener Almost Self-Reliant

My flock consists of Buck Eye, EE, PBR, Doms, BA, and a single Colombian Wyandotte. Of those breeds, I think the PBR are the most consistent layers. Second generation birds have included black sex links, with combs of all sorts: pea, rose, walnut, and single. They often lay green eggs. The BA and CW have been successful broody hens.

I have never met a RIR that I liked. But, I find the temperament of the Buck Eyes to be nice.

2. Dec 31, 2018
    Beekissed

Beekissed Mountain Sage

I wouldn't dump your hens just yet. At this time of year the old egg works are ramping up to start laying and shells can be thin when birds come into a laying cycle and go out of one, so are easily damaged when birds get on and off the nest. Every year on forums across the net at those times the same thread topic arises....the dreaded egg eater.

Except...ALL chickens are egg eaters. It's instinct to eat something good that is there before them, as in these cracked or broken eggs, and it's a good instinct, as it keeps the nest site clean. It's like when a broody hen will eat unfertilized eggs or those that stop progressing in the shell...she's not a cannibal, it's a good trait in a hen for her to keep eat the eggs that are duds. It gives her nutrition and also clears out the nest of these unwanted eggs.

The soft shells and the resulting egg eating has nothing to do with nutrition....just do an experiment. Do nothing....just wait a few weeks and see if it doesn't correct itself naturally. Been doing this for over 40 yrs and never had an egg eater yet. Thousands of chickens of all breeds, ages and sexes and not a single "egg eater" among 'em. It's not luck or coincidence...it's called common sense. They will ALL eat an egg. They are opportunistic feeders. When the opportunity arises in the form of broken eggs, they eat them.

They don't need more protein, nor more calcium, they just need a little time to get back in the swing of things. Trust me, I've tried all that jazz down through the years and have found it takes as long as it takes, no matter what you try.

You might also look into egg predators, like rats. This time of year is also the time of year most report egg predation from that source, as it's still winter when food is more scarce for rodents and eggs are just sitting there, waiting to be harvested all day long...the scent of broken eggs will turn their attention from dropped feed to the good protein in those nests. Sometimes a rat will eat an egg in the coop and sometimes they carry them off.

I'd just wait awhile and see what happens, CC.

CrealCritter, Lazy Gardener and sumi like this.
  3. Dec 31, 2018
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

CrealCritter likes this.
  4. Dec 31, 2018
    frustratedearthmother

Oops - I might have just ordered a few chicks! Ya'll are enablers lol.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    tortoise, CrealCritter, sumi and 5 others like this.
  5. Dec 31, 2018
    NH Homesteader

NH Homesteader Super Self-Sufficient

How many? When do you get them? Can I live vicariously through you since I'm not ordering chicks or running the incubator this year? Lol (broody mamas will be encouraged though!)

CrealCritter and Rammy like this.
  6. Dec 31, 2018
    frustratedearthmother

Ummmm, a total of 25. Some Black Australorps, Ameraucauna's and Naked Necks. I LOVE Naked Necks! They're so ugly they're cute. The male NN's are supposed to make a dec3ent carcass and easy to process because they have less feathers than other breeds. (but I have a plucker so not that important)

Rammy likes this.
  7. Dec 31, 2018
    NH Homesteader

NH Homesteader Super Self-Sufficient

They certainly are ugly... lol!

Rammy and frustratedearthmother like this.
  8. Dec 31, 2018
    CrealCritter

CrealCritter Super Self-Sufficient

I believe these are the ones I want Gold Sexlinks same as Golden Comets? What are chickens now PC?
    Screenshot_2018-12-31-00-41-04.png

Rammy and sumi like this.
  9. Dec 31, 2018
    Rammy

Rammy Lovin' The Homestead

Black sex links matter.:hide

10. Dec 31, 2018
    Beekissed

Beekissed Mountain Sage