Maple Sweet Potato Hash

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We have a couple Wustof (German made) kitchen knives, DH bought these when he move dback to WI and I was still in Wyoming with the house. These are great knives and they ended up out in the camper when we bought our kitchen set with the woodblock storage. It is nice ot have a great knife when camping.

Our set in the kitchen has 8 steak knives; a 3.5", 4.5" and 6" paring/utility knives; a Santoku blade; a bread knife; a 6" and 8" chef knife and a steel. Wait, there is one more slot - what am I missing?

It is amazing how much easier it is to cook with the correct knife in your hand.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@CrealCritter That looks like a nice knife. I bet you can break down a deer pretty fast with that one. It would be nice to be able to make the handle the size you need to comfortably hold the knife. i have a little arthritis developing in my hands, so a slightly larger handle is a wonderful thing.

Thankfully, DH believes in buying high quality stuff for things that are going to get a lot of use. We paid a lot for the knives, but they will last us the rest of our lives and make cooking so much easier.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@CrealCritter looks like a pretty nice knife to me! And the wood handle is very artistic; I like it.

We have Cutco knives, which are pretty good, and I like the lifetime warranty and lifetime sharpening (especially for the serrated blades which are a b**** to sharpen. But they still don't compare to the carbon steel ones we had. One was so old that the blade had been worn to about half it's original size from sharpening-- several generations had used that one; it was unparalleled for skinning.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Any secrets or tips for cutting up sweet potatoes? Those suckers are hard and I always feel like I am going to lose a finger when I try to slice them.
When I can, I use the Instant Pot to cook or at least partially cook sweet potatoes. They're super easy to get the peel off, cut easily and still hold their shape to lightly fry for dishes like this.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Great idea! about how many minutes?
18 minutes, then natural steam release for buttery smooth sweet potatoes. Use the trivet and 1-1/2 cup of water. Put the potatoes on the trivet, set it and walk away.
15 minutes leave them a bit under cooked which works out better for this dish, IMO. We had it tonight (which is the ONLY reason why I remember the time!) and although the potatoes were completely done, I was still able to get some browning on them by not stirring them around much.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I made this for breakfast this morning. But I forgot the onions and the olive oil. So just diced raw sweet potatoes, breakfast sausage patties and some butter to fry the potatoes in. Would have been better with some salt and pepper, but I forgot that also. Chores took longer than usual and I was in a rush to finish and get to work. Next time onions and maple syrup.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Marianne, haven't heard from you in a while. Please let us know you are ok.

How are the hands doing? Know you had some surgery. We miss your posts.