Master Gardening Class worth it?

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I contaced my Extension office and found out what's involved in taking the Master Gardener course. It's $85 and consists of 10 (2 per week) 4 hour classes for a total of 40 hours of what they called "interactive video lecture" whatever that means.

Then, after you complete the course, you have to volunteer 40 hours to the service.

I checked out their syllabus (I guess you'd call it) and found it to contain things that seemed pretty interesting. What you would expect--weeds, bugs, plants, etc...

The only reason I question the value of the class is my almost exclusive interest in gardening is in producing food for my family. There is one module on growing vegetables--the very last one, I think. I believe it would be fun for me to do, but I can't decide if I want to spend all of that time and money on the program.

Cassandra

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Well, IMO, all education is worth it. If you think you could benefit from it I say go for it!

Other than for personal use,what would master gardener be good for though. I am unfamiliar with the term. Are their job possibilities that might go with it?

Curious...

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
One of my friends completed the Master Gardener course a couple years ago.

Now she is the town's Farm Market manager. She also writes a weekly newspaper article in the local paper that includes recipes using the produce as it is in season.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I think it would be a very informative class. I may check into that myself. I would think the Master Gardner cert. (is it certified?) would also come in useful if you ever decided to do something like help (charge money for) other people plant gardens.
Not sure but think it was on this site somewhere that someone was wondering about starting their own business of starting backyard organic gardens for people who did not have the time or know how, but wanted little backyard gardens.
But if all you are interested in is your own personal use and the last veggie section is all you want maybe they would just let you attend that section for a small fee.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
It depends I think.

If you are a self-motivated learner, sometimes it is better to learn at your own pace and focus on your area of interest. At least, in my opinion, sometimes I get bored with curriculum and don't learn much in the amount of time I could more actively pursue a topic. :/

If you want the piece of paper, I'm sure you will learn a wide breadth of topics and could maybe use it as credentials to get employment in a garden-related field. You would probably meet a lot of cool people who share your interests too.

So, I guess, ask yourself what exactly you want out of it.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I believe it was Dace that mentioned starting that business. I agree--it would probably be helpful for that.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
it is a catch 22 like anything.

if you are truly interested in learning alot about bugs, soil, etc. then it is well worth it cause that education can lead to other opportunties.

but if you only, and I mean only, are interested in backyard gardening for your family, don't truly want to get more into this type of field or anything, then no I wouldn't do it....there are tons of info on the net for free etc. to make a master gardener in your personal backyard.

so it truly is up to you how far you would like to take your knowledge....in a class room or research yourself for the value you need to succeed in the yard.

is it something you really want to do, then go for it. if it just sounds good but you might not truly get your value out of it, then look maybe for a smaller type class offered or such.

let us know how you go! :)

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
In our area, the Master Gardeners put on free all day seminars at the local library. Maybe, Cassandra, you can find out if your area does the same thing. Then you can just get the veggie info you want.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Might be worth it if you then turned around and taught a veggie garden class to others for a small fee. ;)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Yes that was me...still pondering the ins and outs of that idea :)

I would think the class would be well worth the investment. Here I believe they don't just offer a class (session) but you have to apply to the program and be accepted. I hear that they get hundreds of applicants for only about 25 or so spots.....then you are committed to doing X number of community service hours thru the county extension.... so from where I sit, I would say go for it!