Master Gardening Class worth it?

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dace said:
Yes that was me...still pondering the ins and outs of that idea :)

I would think the class would be well worth the investment. Here I believe they don't just offer a class (session) but you have to apply to the program and be accepted. I hear that they get hundreds of applicants for only about 25 or so spots.....then you are committed to doing X number of community service hours thru the county extension.... so from where I sit, I would say go for it!
Dace, I read that, too, about how you'd have to be accepted to the program based on qualification. Though, from the contact I have had with the two offices where I have inquired (I live very close to the line of two counties and have checked them both) I don't think we have as much interest in it. So far, they seem to be pretty lenient as far as qualifications go.

Like... do you have $85? Can you spare 8 hours a week? Alright! You qualify! LOL I could be wrong of course. I will have to wait and see.

Cassandra

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Like... do you have $85? Can you spare 8 hours a week? Alright! You qualify! LOL I could be wrong of course. I will have to wait and see.

****$85 is cheap for good knowledge, lol, and we usually all can drag up the money somewhere....BUT the biggie is time. You sure have to be able to give that time easily cause if you can't, then it just causes frustration. Nothing worse than pushing your time to the limit, heck, most of us do that now..LOL

it boils down to "do you really want this"?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
If it were me? :D I'd take me $85 and buy some really good gardening books on Amazon, tuck down in my comfortable living room and read up on it at my leisure!

Most of the extension office seminars and info around here includes very little about organic or natural gardening and anyone can go to the "chemical aisle" at Lowe's and read on the cans what to spray on what bugs.

Growing food for the family? Invest in Countryside Small Stock journal and some of the suggested material they have listed. :)

Bebop

Power Conserver
Reaction score
When I was living in El Paso, I sent an email saying I was interested the being in their Master Gardener Program, asking if it would help to put it on a resume because I was an Ag Bio major if I took the course. (I hope to go back to school next year)
The person that emailed me back sent me a really vague email...
I think she basically told me (I need to read it back) that it wouldn't really help me that it was a volunteer program and I would need to help them if needed.. etc.. I don't really remember, but I decided against that I would save the money to go back to school.

I might need to ask another Master Gardener Program because maybe it was just their program, or maybe it was just an info class, or something..
Did this make sense? Don't mean to hijack, but what exactly is it for? I think the lady that sent me the email told me exactly what FarmerChick said it was: it sounded like a catch 22.
If that's exactly what it is, then I'll just go back to college..
>^.^<

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hey Bebop

ya know an acquaintance of mine got a Master Gardener thing from her local agri dept.

she used it on a resume to become a judge at flower shows. she was big time into flowers and wanted to be a judge....and listing that got her on a panel to judge....Hmm....not paid or anything, just into a SC flower show type situation.

so maybe it helps for things like that??? I dont' know..LOL

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Basically, I want to learn how to garden. LOL

Every master gardener has to pay back the organization with volunteer service. They are very clear on that right up front. You get a 40 hour course to teach you about gardening. And in exchange for that, you have to repay them with 40 hours of volunteer service.

The designation lasts for one year. If you want to remain a master gardener after that, you have to take additional classes and serve additional volunteer time each year, but not as much as the first year.

None of that really concerns me, though. I was just wondering if what you learn is worth 40 hours and $85.

Cassandra

shareneh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think that if you have the time and money it wouldn't hurt to learn something new. I wouldn't really want to learn through videos though. Then you have to consider the volunteer time you owe.

If you are looking for some little jobs later, this might help you get in the door. If you are content to be home taking care of your family needs then you might find this to be a big nuisance.

On the other hand, you might meet people who are interested in the same things you are and find something even more valuable, a friend.

Good Luck

homestead jenna

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okay - I can speak literately about this one.

I'm the administrative assistant for the Master Gardener coordinator in my county. This is actually my second county to do this. Your class is a DEAL - ours is $200. Make sure you also understand what your responsibility for volunteer hours is going to be - especially as an intern (your first year after training). You will also be expected to get a certain number of training hours every year to keep current.

The Master Gardener mission is to be an educational arm of the Extension program. You'll be expected to provide help at plant clinics, help desks, in the demo gardens, at farmer's markets booths possibly (ours do), plant sales, and maybe at a booth at the fair. There are many different things they do - from therapeutic horticulture (usually using plants at senior centers), Junior Master Gardeners/4-H Horticulture, and speakers' group.

Our Master Gardener handbook is for sale to the public for $69. See here http://mastergardener.umd.edu/Handbook.cfm There's a sneak peak link on there so you can look it over.

I bought one. It's attractive and informative - although some of the cultivar recommendations and things are fairly specific to Maryland/Mid-Atlantic.

If you decide that you don't want to do the whole she-bang...see if they do seminars on the topics you want to learn more about. Our MG's have a spring and fall seminar series and you can pick and choose what topics you like.

I find that, because of the nature of the MG's population (VERY often older, retired) it's real heavy on ornamentals and turf. I'm sorry - I don't do yards. If I'm gonna spend that much time and money outside I'm gonna bring in some veggies or something.

As far as the "wallpaper" - a CPH (Certified Professional Horticulturist) is a better bet and sometimes available at the local community college.

Email me if you like.

homestead jenna

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
If it were me? :D I'd take me $85 and buy some really good gardening books on Amazon, tuck down in my comfortable living room and read up on it at my leisure!

Most of the extension office seminars and info around here includes very little about organic or natural gardening and anyone can go to the "chemical aisle" at Lowe's and read on the cans what to spray on what bugs.

Growing food for the family? Invest in Countryside Small Stock journal and some of the suggested material they have listed. :)
Yes, ma'am. That's me, too. :)