May I suggest a book that I think you are going to love?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
LITTLE HEATHENS (of course the title grabbed me right away! :p ) "Hard Times and High Spirits on an Iowa Farm During the Great Depression" A true story by Mildred Armstrong Kalish

I read this about 2 years ago and fell in love. Now after finally unpacking all of my books after the move, I found it again. I am in the process of rereading it with my new SS perspective. It is almost like reading a brand new book.

Anyway, here are some of the chapter and sub-chapter titles:

The Family
Great-Grandpa Jonathan
Aunt Belle
Thanksgiving

Building Character
Oral Influences
Literary Influences
Religious Influences
Thrift
Medicine
Chores
Farm Food
Water Windmill
Milking and Other Nightly Chores
Wash Day
Outhouses

Fall/Winter
Country School
Gathering Nuts
Gathering Wood
Winter Is Icumen In, Lhude Sing G*&^%$! (cant type that)

Spring Summer
Leisure Time
Gardening
May Baskets
Birds
Racoons and Other Critters

"Saturated with pure charm and polished by real, rare happiness..."

A VERY GOOD BOOK! I learned so much the first time I read it, and she writes so well, you can't put it down. ENJOY!

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Got it! Thanks!

[Nice thing about checking this forum during breaks at work... see a book title, pull it off the shelf. :lol: ]

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Hi Mrs Puff! :frow

Buster, I hope you like it. :) (I've read Mockingbird by the way, I saw earlier that you were reading it.)

I am so happy to have my books out on shelves again! My mom and dad have an actual library in their house. A whole room full of books from floor to ceiling, it is pretty impressive.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I do love that book. Not sure why I bought it and then it was years before I actually read it. I'm glad I did!

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I loved reading Little Heathens, too. The prim & proper grandmother in the book reminded me of my grandma. She was always criticizing my mom for letting us run around outside without shoes and play in the dirt.

cjparker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I read that a while back and found it delightful. She was raised not so very far away from where I was raised.
One of my favorite passages was when the woman came in and explained birth control to the lady with six kids. What a hoot!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
:yuckyuck too funny!

VickiLynn said:
I loved reading Little Heathens, too. The prim & proper grandmother in the book reminded me of my grandma. She was always criticizing my mom for letting us run around outside without shoes and play in the dirt.
Welcome to Sufficient Self!