Mayonnaise?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Does anyone make their own mayonnaise? I found a recipe on line last night that I tried, but had no luck. I just bought a jar for my hubby, and it was over $5.00! :th (There's only 1 kind he'll eat.) I figure if I can make it myself, I should be able to save a ton of money.

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
I've had mixed results when trying to make mayo. :tongue I know WBF makes mayo all the time... I'd ask her! :p

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Do you have a stick blender? If so, try that. I haven't found a recipe that I like yet, but I know that when I tried making it without the stick blender, it didn't work. The stick blender is basically like magic when it comes to emulsions lol.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If you do a search here there are several recipes. I've made it a couple of times and it turned out good. I just used a regular blender. I don't make it every time, just occasionally.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
rebecca100 said:
If you do a search here there are several recipes. I've made it a couple of times and it turned out good. I just used a regular blender. I don't make it every time, just occasionally.
Ah, true. I was comparing it to hand mixing, lol.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
The key to great mayo is good oil, and to add more oil until it thickens. I make knock off of Kraft with:

1 egg
1 Tbsp. ACV
1 tsp. salt
about 1 1/2 c. canola oil, added slowly. And keep adding until whipped to the desired consistency. The ammount of oil will vary. Sometimes I use less, sometimes more. I just use it until it's good and thick like we like it. If it's runny, it needs more oil. That was my issue when I first started making it. I tried to follow a recipe I found online, and the exact measurements, and it turned out runny so i tossed it. Little did I know if I had added more oil it would have been perfectly fine :rolleyes: I haven't found a recipe yet that will tell ya that little secret though :p Experience taught me ;)

I use a stick blender now, but I was using a cheapy hand mixer that was a Walmart special $4 and both done the job. One just takes a little bit nore time is all. :hu Use what ya got ;) It'll do fine as long as you add more oil if needed regardless of what the recipe says.

If you're looking for a Miracle Whip type recipe, just add sugar to this one until it tastes right.

$5 mayo...WOW! I'd never pay that much...not even before I started making my own! :p

ETA: Just in case your DH is like mine...put the homemade in the $5 jar and he'll never know the difference until the label gets funky from washing, and then it's too late...been eating it way too long to fuss at that point :lol: It worked on my two picky folks. ;)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
CheerioLounge said:
I knew WBF would have the answer!! Quick question though, does the vinegar have to be ACV?
No, but that is what I use since ACV is so good for ya anyway ;)

Theo

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I've made it with white vinegar or with lemon juice. Lemon makes a tasty mayo. I used to make it in my blender, pouring the oil slowly right into the vortex. I haven't done it in a long time. Now that I have chickens and plenty of eggs, I should try making it again. The homemade stuff won't last indefinitely in your fridge, but you will probably eat it right up because it is so good!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
It never lasts here! Especially since it's a;so the base for my homemade ranch dressing that gets devoured almost as quick as I make it ;)