Mealworm farming

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
sumi, I did the same thing with a kitchen sieve. Of course, I saved the sieve for future worms and not for noodles....LOL

I just may start up growing them again. I usually have 4 bins going, starting each in 30 day intervals.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
@sumi and @waretrop is it possible to get raise enough in a summer to last through the winter? I would like to try but I just **cannot** have them in the house, it's too gross.

How are they dried for storage?

Where did you get your starters? Could I use the stuff from bait shops?

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't think that is possible. If you did allot of containers of them maybe you could dehydrate them or freeze them, or refrigerate them but not with only a few containers...I bought my starter worms wholesale but you can go to a bait store and get a few hundred.. Make sure you get meal worms and not supper worms or maga worms. That is a different critter.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I kept mine going through winter by keeping them warm enough to keep going. Have you got a suitable building, or room outside where you can put them?

As for storing them, I never needed to, but I know you can store them in the fridge (which is probably not an option you'd consider!)

waretrop

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@tortoise I think you are asking this. The life cycle is about 3 months depending on the temp and conditions.