MEAT BIRDS THREAD ~Plans, pics, pens, pluckers, processing! GRAPHIC!

Snowhunter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Not very scientific w/the ACV.. a glug each time I do the water :lol:

You cannot make the really good nutrient rich clabber w/store milk like you can w/raw milk but I've seen folks do it w/buttermilk and store milk mixed together clabbering that way.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
2 tbs to a glug per gallon of water. got it.

unfortununately unless we can find an amish person to sell us some raw milk we have only access to store milk. nobody around us that we have heard of keeps a milk cow. and only 1 person i know of keeps and uses dairy goats. and she wont sell any milk. which is why i now have my own goats!

and the same with acv the only place to get it is at the store.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Clabbered milk is just cottage cheese without the buttermilk drained off it. Store bought ACV is better than none at all and still has good vitamins and minerals, if not the probios.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I buy probios at the farm store. I give it after I worm or transport anything. If I clabber some whole milk from the store and add some of it, would that surfice? I have to go to the amish feed store tomarow will ask about raw milk and acv then. If they dont sell any, i might try it with the whole milk from the store. maybe 1/2 whole milk and 1/2 buttermilk?

do you think this would be good for my corturnx quail also? picking them up tomarow. they are VERY fast growing.

sorry for all the questions!!:hide

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
It would be good for any creature. Nothing wrong with asking questions, only with NOT asking questions! :D

You can actually place ACV in milk to make it clabber if you want.

You can also just feed them buttermilk...it has the appropriate cultures and probios, just like anything that has been fermented/cultured.

Snowhunter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yup, what Bee said, on all accounts! :D

Nothing new to report here on the meaties! Well, the heat lamp got unplugged the other night (it didn't get below about 60 that night, ugh!) and the chicks all did fine and survived. I need more extension cords :lol: Between the fridge and freezer, the extension cords for the truck block heaters (both trucks) and the coop w/over 100ft of cord, I'm tapped out, :lol:

I'd forgotten how much water them CX drink :th I might need to put the huge hanging waterer in there tomorrow, as I'm filling it every day between all 35 chicks :th

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm planning on hanging a bucket with nipples for the thirsty buggers. See how fast they can go through 5 gal.!

Snowhunter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm thinking switching to the 5gal bell style waterer will help it last longer. Though, I must say, they're all only going through 1gal/day for 35 chicks, which really aint bad. I think the CX are doing better and actually retaining nutrition instead of pooping it all out and having to rehydrate so often.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm definitely going to try your clabber along with my ACV....great idea! Anything that can keep these CX from pooping their self all the time is a great!

So...after their chick food is done, what next in the line of feeds do you plan to incorporate?