MEAT BIRDS THREAD ~Plans, pics, pens, pluckers, processing! GRAPHIC!

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I remember that cx used to be really cheap! I couldn't believe it when I saw them going for the same price as regular chicks yesterday!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Snowhunter, how about a pic update on your meat babies? Can't wait to see how they've grown and how they are doing. I'm chompin' at the bit to get my coop built and the meaties installed...want to cross that project off the list.

Snowhunter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I will get some pics today Bee!! I was hoping to get the CX tractor built but everything is saturated from the frog strangler rain last night.

These poor CX are growing like mad. They're 2 wks 1 day old and massive :ep I'd forgotten how big they get!

They do love some clabber though, WOW! All the chicks swarm the bowl and devour it like its goin outta style. Its messy too.. they all look like they've just had a bath after a few minutes in the clabber bowl :gig

The oats aren't cooperating.. gonna start some rye grain sprouting for them incase the oats still don't sprout well.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i was planning to get 10-15 cornish X at the farm store every other week when they got their chicks in. but they put up signs today that they arnt going to get them in they are by speicial order only this year. and you have to order 25 minumum.:somad and they raised the price on them to $1.65 from $1.29 last year. so now i got to figure out what to do.

a friend of mine has dark cornish chickens, how would you go about making your own cornish X?? or is it possable?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I think they've mulled that over quite a bit on BYC and came to the conclusion that it isn't so simple.

Maybe you could go halfsies with someone else to get the minimum order? Or you could just get 25 :D It's just as easy to raise 25 as it is 15! Just think of all that chicken tucked safely away in the freezer and in jars, just waiting for you to feed it to your family......YUM!!! :drool :D

Snowhunter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ok, heres a few pics from morning feeding, clabber included :lol: I just can't believe how enormous they've gotten. I'd forgot how fast they grow :ep
2012-02-23_08-54-05_663.jpg

2012-02-23_08-53-14_522.jpg

2012-02-23_08-53-01_187.jpg

2012-02-23_08-52-39_749.jpg

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
They all look very bright and hungry! :lol: Poor little standard breeds look like day olds next to them, don't they?

Snowhunter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I know, they look so tiny compared to the CX :lol:

I've actually not seen the usual liquidy explosive poops from the CX the last few days. Im thinking between the ACV and clabber, its really helping thier digestive system. Joints all look good, not the awful balloon looking knobby legs I remember. Big legs yes, but they don't have problems cavorting around the coop at warp speed either :gig

I am noticing, with the BA's, that it seems I got some pullets in my order :D I'm not complaining :gig And I think theres a few black Jersey Giants in there, along with the Austrolorps, if foot color is any indication. Some are pink some are yellow :hu

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Imagine how much nutrition they are keeping in their bodies by the lessening of the diarrhea? You could be starting a whole new method of growing CX, wherein you reculture the bowels of these meaties before they can completely strip themselves. I can't wait to see how your chicks grow and thrive!

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
how much acv to water do you use? and is the kind you get at the store ok?

and can you make the clabber with regular milk from the store?