MEAT BIRDS THREAD ~Plans, pics, pens, pluckers, processing! GRAPHIC!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I didn't think that was mushy at all and that is very perceptive...we actually get to read a little of the book without ever seeing the cover that is presented to the world. Sometimes that is a good thing and sometimes it's a bad thing, I'm thinking. I'm pretty laid back and like to have a good time, smile and laugh a lot in real life....but I doubt many on here actually sees me like that, for some reason.

I like to make people feel good but I won't compromise my values in that effort, so I'm pretty much an open book....no lip service, just me. Humorous, joyful~ but solid as a rock.

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We now have 4 batches going. The largest is the third batch and I'm a little worried about them. They will grow into mid June and if we have spikes to 110+ like we did last June, it could be difficult for them. The last batch is only 22 we picked up a feed store on Sunday, so I will likely run them free range with our pullets to see how they do.

I'm not really happy with the growth rate for the first batch. They are 6 weeks and don't look anywhere near the size of most I've seen on BYC, so I figure it must be the protein level. I've only been using my own 18% mix. For their last few weeks, I'm switching to a 22% commercial ration to see if they do any better.

The plucker came in and it is even prettier than its picture. Very powerful machine. I'm going to buy a few roos at auction next week just to try it out. DW and I have our setup almost all ready. Still need a couple of cones. Not really happy with our $300 scalder, but to get a better one costs a thousand bucks, so we will have to make do for now. We are applying for a grant to purchase a more professional setup.

Our mission is to give our community an alternative to the commercial food system. I know we won't put a dent in the need, but we feel we are doing our little part to make our community just a little bit better.

ETA
Forgot to mention, we are also raising a bunch of BBW and BBB turkeys. I think we have about 40 or so going right now. I wish more people ate turkey monthly like we do rather than once a year. They are so easy to raise.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I agree with your turkey observations. I raise the Bourbon red but can't quite seem to find a market for my poults. I need to figure that out.

Congrats on the plucker.

G

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
I agree with your turkey observations. I raise the Bourbon red but can't quite seem to find a market for my poults. I need to figure that out.

G
If you were closer I would buy them all. I'm averaging about 25 broiler presales for every one turkey, but they do sell. Not sure it is worth it, though. I'm allowed 1,000 birds per year without inspection. Turkeys equal 4 chickens. Broilers average 5 pounds apiece. I would have to sell 20 pound turkeys to break even, and only one person has ordered a bird that big.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
How long does is take you to feed out a turkey to 20 lbs? I butchered what I thought was a huge tom last year. He was just over a year old and only dressed at 18 lbs.

He was great as yard art for the year but my yard only needs so many turkeys.

g

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The few turkey chicks I have seen here have been 12-18 dollars each. hoping to find some lower priced ones soon.

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
How long does is take you to feed out a turkey to 20 lbs? I butchered what I thought was a huge tom last year. He was just over a year old and only dressed at 18 lbs.

He was great as yard art for the year but my yard only needs so many turkeys.

g
The broad breasted beasts grow huge fast. My first try grew to 55 pounds live weight in 8 or 9 months. I've been told they can grow up to 75 to 100 pounds. Six months should bring 20+ lb birds easy.

We charge $2.25 a pound for turks, $3.00 a pound for broilers. I noticed we are on the low end for non-industrial producers in our area. Both average $4 plus through the Oklahoma Food Coop. We hope to grow heritage breeds for meat in the future, thus my earlier comment, but when we do, we will have to raise our prices to make it worth while.

This is a labor of love, as it is for most people in my position. I'm probably making less than minimum wage when all is said and done. Nobody gets rich at this stuff.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
CX are at 6 wks now and are really putting on some breast meat and filling out per usual. They aren't as quick on their feet and forage a little less on hot days but they are still out there digging and scratching pretty much all day~they just can't chase those bugs as quickly with those heavy breasts tipping them forward. :p

They continue to look for high places on which to roost at night so I'm going to fix up another roosting situation so they can all take advantage of being off the floor and feeling a little more cool. I've got some wooden lattice that I might utilize with some bracing on top of some 5 gal. buckets. It won't be pretty but it also won't take up floor space, will allow for cool air under them, will have some spring to it and will be wide enough for comfort.

They are still eating the FF well and still not having to drink much during this hot weather. The moist feeds and the better utilization of the moisture they do get seems to be keeping them satisfied. Their feces are still normal, much like regular chickens and they are all healthy and bright.

I took another video of them at the 6 wks mark and will try to get it uploaded this week. Four more weeks to go! They have went through approx. $85 in feed so far, have required minimal care and their coop still isn't too bad with smells~no more than if 50 DP birds were living out of the same 8x10 coop(a situation that I would not normally create)....have used a total of 3 bales of shavings so far since the beginning and that will be all I'll use throughout. This last bale will be the last I place. The flies are minimal here right now and I am so thankful for that.

Latest posts