MEAT BIRDS THREAD ~Plans, pics, pens, pluckers, processing! GRAPHIC!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
This thread, and a dwindling supply of chicken in our freezer, I will be purchasing some CXs in August to grow out. This will be done more efficiently than the last time. Disaster last time, I have a plan this time and will share it when I get a free moment.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I can't wait to see how you do this time, BB! I know it will turn out great for you. How many will you get this time?

Just made my chickens a chicken hammock and they love it! Will post pics as soon as I can.

Also outfitted my dog with new ID tags with my new phone number and the tags read: "Hi, I'm Jake! Don't shoot! Please Call ********* at *********" I'm hoping that if he were to wander off for some strange reason that someone will take pity on him and give me a call. :D

5_100_1502.jpg

5_100_1501.jpg

piglett

Power Conserver
Reaction score
those meat birds have a good thing going on there. eat a little ,sleep a little in the chicken hammock , then get up and eat some more :)
they just don't know their days are numbered :D

piglett

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Bee, nice my pics! My idea is to purchase 40 meatie chicks, I have 15 that someone wants to buy. Then 25 for us to use. In late August get the chicks, two weeks of brooder setup with limited feeds during this time. Also some grass and clover clippings. Then move out to the electronet setup with a lean to shelter of some sort to go with it. Keep them fed on there with fermented oats and cracked corn. Also very limited on amount given. I want them to work for it. They will be cleaner chickens to deal with and better meat as well.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Amen to that, BB! Are you going to ferment their chick starter as well?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
i have two pips on the first turkey hatch of the year :woot They are due to hatch tomorrow, but it looks like I might have a couple of early birds :D I plan on the toms going in the freezer this Fall :drool

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have never done turkeys before but would like to. Would it be ok to put them in the same pen as the ducks, or in the chicken pen? I'm not sure I am going to have room for another pen.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
i have two pips on the first turkey hatch of the year :woot They are due to hatch tomorrow, but it looks like I might have a couple of early birds :D I plan on the toms going in the freezer this Fall :drool
Are your eggs in an incubator or the coop?

g

funnyfarm, I run my turkeys and chickens together. My Tom is currently trying to kill a Roo but other than that they all get along pretty well. There is something called Blackhead disease you should look up. I have no problems with it but good to be aware.

g

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
My eggs are in the bator. My hen is hiding some out in the brush somewhere though, so maybe i have more on the way as well ;)

I run mine with the rest of the poultry as well. I just have a acre fenced and everybody is in there. The turks and ducks don't ever get in the chicken coop though except to lay. They have always roosted outside the coop. I have seen both turks with ice frozen on their backs from staying out in the sleet and snow :/ I put them up, they get out and roost on the gate. I put them back, they put themselves back out :eek:l: They just like it better outside apparently. They eat with the other birds, but they flatly refuse to sleep amongst them.

I haven't ever had any problems with blackhead either. I know of it, but haven't ever seen a case firsthand, or know anyone around here who has had issue with it either :hu

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ok, thanks. I looked at some at the sale Sunday, but they were a little priceyer than I wanted to give plus wasn't sure where to put them. But now I will realy keep an eye out.

Latest posts