MEAT BIRDS THREAD ~Plans, pics, pens, pluckers, processing! GRAPHIC!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
The studies show 8-16 hours for the fungus to start growing....not sure if that is throughout the mixture of just they tested the fluid and it showed significant growth. I do mine overnight...but mine is already resting in fluid that has a full growth of yeast cultures.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Mine had mold on it this morning, I threw it out. The culture ontop was layer of mold.....

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Like a milky layer of stuff? If so, that is mold but not the bad kind. Yeast cultures in liquid look like a milky layer of ick, sometimes may even have a bluish-green mold that will form in some places that has a grey underbelly....take a pic next time and show us before you throw it out. Many a person has to move aside the "mold" to dip out kraut or to access an ear of pickled corn from a crock or barrel.

If it smells sour or yeasty, it's okay. If it smells rotten, not so good.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
It was sour, filmy wispy cotton like......
That was the good stuff, BB! :D Yeah...don't throw it out next time, 'cause you just grew yourself some great cultures! If you stir your stuff every now and again, you probably won't even see that mold formation. I'll go out in the morning and find a skim of it on top, just forming into what you describe but I mix it in. I try to stir it a little every day.

I checked the stuff in the bottom bucket today and took it out to strain it.....just to see if I could see anything interesting. My CX gathered and were trying to drink the liquid I had spilled....must be good stuff!

The stuff in the bottom looked for ever more like sourdough mix...smooth and silky, soured to perfection. I'm really liking this fermenting of the feeds...the chickens are using so much less feed and seem to really like the feed.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Well shoot, oh well I can regrow it. I hadn't been around to stir the last few days.......so that is it did that.

Snowhunter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Alright...so today was butcher day for ONE of the CX girls.. yes, just one!!! I did not get pictures...:hide Bee, please don't strangle me for that :hide :lol:

And I will mention, I HATE BUTCHERING CHICKENS :he

I was going to scald and pluck and ended up tearing the skin bad enough handling the bird, post-kill, that skinning just kinda happened. Oops :tongue

This girl easily weighed 7lbs live weight. She felt pretty close to what a gallon of milk weighs, which is 8.6lbs, so I'll say 7lbs (no I don't have a scale either)

Without wings, guts, head or feet the carcass is probably about 4lbs. Fairly lean as well, but there is nice yellow fat throughout.

I didn't pen and finish her, nor fast her overnight either. This is a butcher out of necessity, since all we have in the freezer is bacon :hide

I'm interested in the taste and texture, once she's all done and ready to eat later this evening.

Next time, I plan to be more prepared for the whole butchering thing... this was an OOPS, crap, whats for supper? spur of the moment thing :gig

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Now I guess my question are you cooking her low and slow? I thought chickens needed to rest for a bit to go through rigamortis? I always wondered how people butcher and eat in the same day. I guess I just always assumed they cooked low and slow.

I have herd that the cx tear with their thin skins.

Let us know how she tasted!!

g

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
They don't really have to rest to be tender nor do you have to cook them slow. When we get a wild turkey we process it and cook the breast that same day....nothing more succulent and tender than fried turkey breast butterfly steaks!

Also, we do the same with deer....strip that tenderloin and cook it that same day. No more tough than the tenderloin that we have rested and then froze to eat later.

If it's one of these young CX, I doubt anything could really make them tough...they just aren't old enough to have developed any firm, stringy muscle fibers or tendons.

Resting the meat may be a good thing...I've done both and have seen no difference whatsoever in the meat quality, taste or tenderness.

Snow, that's not bad weights for a free ranged 6 wk old CX when you consider they were not fed high pro feeds nor confined so they could not work it off. You remind me of my grandma...when she needed something to fix for company she would just go out and kill a bird right then, cut it up and roll it in flour and fry it. No resting the meat, no chilling the carcass...just kill it and eat it.

I'll tell you what else she would do! She would take a handful of Cheer laundry detergent and sprinkle on the skin of the bird as she was cleaning it in the sink and she would scrub that skin clean and then rinse it well. :D I guess that was to make sure that old hen's skin was sparkling clean...no matter what the temperature of the water! :lol: