Meat birds

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
bump.gif

FYI I think those birds are gorgeous as well. Almost makes me wish I had kept an Orpington roo, 'cause I plan on getting barred rock in the spring

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'll have 5 or 6 black sex link roos this year. (Rir x barrock) I'm betting they will be meaty too

Last edited:

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've been thinking about doing some crosses myself, but I'm still accumulating a few more varieties to try out :D

But if I wanted to do some experimenting this spring I do have a large Wyandotte roo that could cross with Sussex, Australorp or Brahma. The Brahmas made good meat birds.

(I also have a Barnevelder roo and hens, as well as Wyandotte hens)

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've been thinking about doing some crosses myself, but I'm still accumulating a few more varieties to try out :D

But if I wanted to do some experimenting this spring I do have a large Wyandotte roo that could cross with Sussex, Australorp or Brahma. The Brahmas made good meat birds.

(I also have a Barnevelder roo and hens, as well as Wyandotte hens)

Nice mix. I just have standard run of the mill stuff. More rir than anything else

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I wanted dual purpose, cold hardy, friendly temperament. The Barnvelders fall a little outside that criteria, but they have pretty eggs :D

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'd like to mix up my egg basket a bit. One day I might get some Easter eggers and white leghorns

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Right now I am scheduled for 3 days off next week. My hope is that the weather & schedule work out and I can harvest 7 excess roos from summer hatches. They will be "meat birds" LOL.....barnyard mix. Most of my birds are the heavy types but there are a few lightweight layers (some leghorn mixed in). Hey, soups, dumplings, salad -- it's all good. Less beaks to feed, too.

Have some hens that I thought about and have decided to hold off until Spring to see who wants to set eggs first. Several have been repeat setters and I hope to let any that volunteer to hatch as many as they can!! Some eggs will be bought for specific types....but I like hen raised.

Meat from these roos will also have me review plans.

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a couple roos I should have culled, but now it's cold and we really don't want to! We'll be more vigilant next year. It's all a learning experience right now.

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'd like to mix up my egg basket a bit. One day I might get some Easter eggers and white leghorns

I had leghorns last year for the winter, production wise, wow, they barely missed a day.

I'm planning to get some EEs in the spring!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have a couple roos I should have culled, but now it's cold and we really don't want to! We'll be more vigilant next year. It's all a learning experience right now.

I hear ya. I got a couple old hens that need to go as well. Just haven't got around to it yet. These short days suck

Latest posts