meat from butcher shop vs grocery store?

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Is meat from a butcher shop of better quality than found in grocery stores? I'm talking about how the animal was raised & processed, etc? Or do they get their meat from the same cess pool ...er..um..feedlot?

I suppose it would depend on the butcher, but any thoughts on this?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
old fashioned said:
Is meat from a butcher shop of better quality than found in grocery stores? I'm talking about how the animal was raised & processed, etc? Or do they get their meat from the same cess pool ...er..um..feedlot?

I suppose it would depend on the butcher, but any thoughts on this?
You have to actually ask the butcher about the real source of his meats.
Many meats are advertised as grassfed for example, but they have been grain finished.
It only takes a few days on grain only to undue all the grassfed benefits :(

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I buy most (90%) of our meat from local growers that I know. I can go check up on the product "on the hoof" anytime I want.
That is the ONLY way to know EXACTLY what your buying.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks to both for the info. Since I live in suburbia and have little to no access to local growers, I better start asking more questions. Although I could keep a closer eye on CL......hmmmmmm

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
old fashioned said:
Thanks to both for the info. Since I live in suburbia and have little to no access to local growers, I better start asking more questions. Although I could keep a closer eye on CL......hmmmmmm
There are two ads for grassfed beef in your CL.
Check them out.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Even some forms of meat from a grocer's deli will have preservatives on/in it - so that can play into it, if you are considering health.

redux

Off to other pastures
Reaction score
I stopped eating meat over a year ago, after reading about factory farming. I didn't want to support that industry.

I will however, eat grass fed, pastured, heritage beef from a farmer one state south of me. She has choir practice in a town just 25 miles from me so we meet there and do the exchange. I still don't eat meat very often, because of all the saturated fat and calories, but now I am not a total vegetarian.

But you do have to closely question your butcher about the source of the meat,

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
My mind is fuzzy - but someone in WA was looking to sell a butcher ready steer or ? a couple of months ago - it might have been on BYC.
There was a long thread on beef. I can go look over there for it if you need me to.
You might be able to give them your name etc. when the next lot are ready to go to the processor.

(Edit to add, going to PM you the person's name - a BYC user)

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
One of our larger grocery stores buys their meat locally, when they can. This particular store buys the 4H animals that go to the fair. It is worth asking.

redux

Off to other pastures
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
One of our larger grocery stores buys their meat locally, when they can. This particular store buys the 4H animals that go to the fair. It is worth asking.
That is extremely cool.