meat from butcher shop vs grocery store?

redux

Off to other pastures
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
Our turkeys are $.94 per pound (at least right now, I've never priced a turkey). I'm not a fan of turkey at TG or x-mas, but I do love ground turkey. We have access to a good meat grinder. I only chose two turkeys because of cost, space and time. They're coming in on the 15th, and they say that they should be around $4 each. But, these guys are day olds, and it's a hatchery assortment.
It's going to be a little while before you can grind them up.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
redux said:
Bettacreek said:
Our turkeys are $.94 per pound (at least right now, I've never priced a turkey). I'm not a fan of turkey at TG or x-mas, but I do love ground turkey. We have access to a good meat grinder. I only chose two turkeys because of cost, space and time. They're coming in on the 15th, and they say that they should be around $4 each. But, these guys are day olds, and it's a hatchery assortment.
It's going to be a little while before you can grind them up.
It depends on the turkeys... ours are just production turkeys, so they'll be ready for freezer camp 3-4 months after we get them... that doesn't seem very long to me :)

We go to my parents house for TG and Christmas, and this year we're bringing the turkey with us... I'm really excited to provide the main part of our family meal.... especially since my niece thought that my mom lived on a farm because she had grass in her yard (mom lives in a trailer park).

If it were for just us, I'd probably prefer the ground turkey too.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
hwillm1977 said:
It depends on the turkeys... ours are just production turkeys, so they'll be ready for freezer camp 3-4 months after we get them... that doesn't seem very long to me :)

We go to my parents house for TG and Christmas, and this year we're bringing the turkey with us... I'm really excited to provide the main part of our family meal.... especially since my niece thought that my mom lived on a farm because she had grass in her yard (mom lives in a trailer park).

Where'd you get your's? I really wanted some broad breasteds, but I haven't seen any poults at the salebarn (saw a hen and two jakes in the two times I've been there this year) and the feed store is the only place that I can find any. I'm well aware that it'll be awhile before we can eat them. That's fine with me, we're not hurting for it right now.

redux

Off to other pastures
Reaction score
I had no idea they grew that quickly! I figured big birds took a long time to get that way. I never had turkeys.

I think the idea of growing your own meat is marvellous if you can do it. When I had chickens, I was still vegetarian so I never thought of processing any of them. Now I am more of an omnivore. I just had a nice chat with the people who raised the beef I bought. They invited me to come see the farm any time. I guess that is the next best thing to growing your own.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
hwillm1977 said:

Where'd you get your's? I really wanted some broad breasteds, but I haven't seen any poults at the salebarn (saw a hen and two jakes in the two times I've been there this year) and the feed store is the only place that I can find any. I'm well aware that it'll be awhile before we can eat them. That's fine with me, we're not hurting for it right now.
I got mine at our local Farmer's Co-op (which is the feed store). You have to order them at least 8 weeks in advance... at least at ours you do... then you pick them up at 4 weeks old on June 15 :) So mine are ordered, and we pick them up in a few months.

The only livestock auctions around here are for cattle, and sometimes a sheep will go through... and there's only a once a year poultry show, but that's in September. So the feed store was really my only option for turkeys.

Yep Redux, they grow fast... too fast really. Meat chickens are ready for freezer camp at 8-10 weeks old... turkeys at 16-20 weeks old. (at least in my experience, which is extremely limited... lol )

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hrmm. Our salebarn is once a week, but it is almost two hours from here. They've got the livestock barn (pigs, sheep, goats and cattle) and the poultry barn (all poultry, cage birds, pigeons, doves, rabbits, guinea pigs, eggs, cages and supplies). It's also a flea market/producer's market. There're a lot of amish (the livestock auctions are only in amish territory), but they have produce out already, that's imported from heaven knows where. :/ I'll probably hit local areas for produce.