Meat rabbit question

Blue Skys

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm on BYH too, but find it difficult to get any type of timely answers so I'm hoping y'all can help. I have had terrible luck with the health of my rabbits. I got them in November, everything was fine until March, when one got bloat and I had to put her down. Now it seems that two of the older rabbits have "snuffles" (read about it on BYH).

I have 4 young rabbits that I have been meaning to slaughter, but I'm wondering since they have been exposed to the sick rabbits, would it be ok to eat them as long as they are not yet showing symptoms and all their organs look healthy?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
You should a) have them tested for pastuerella and/or b) treat them for URI. Go to a vet that knows rabbits - some antibiotics will kill rabbits.

I have snuffles going around my rabbitry too. Good thing they like cherry-flavored medicine. :D

Blue Skys

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
After searching around a little bit it looks like it's a very common problem. The older doe that is sick is too far gone, I will put her down, I tryed to contact my small animal vet, but he has been out sick. Since most rabbits seem to at least be carriers, I guess it would be ok to eat the younger one that are showing no signs of illness. :idunno

Would you eat the rabbits that did not show signs of illness or no?

ChickenPotPie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Paturella or URIs are not common enough that you should expect rabbits to have them. Either the stock was sick when you got it (not likely if you've had them long) or their environment caused it to show up.

Meds might treat the sypmtoms but it may not cure the rabbit. Culling via putting the ill rabbits down and then sterilizing everything may be a good solution. It's up to you.

If you have any doubt that your young rabbits are not well, don't eat them. Never eat a sick animal or one that has been treated with meds that require a waiting period for slaughter (read the label or ask the rabbit vet).

To get back to the what may be the problem......what do you think it might be? A pre-existing problem? Weak genetics from poor breeding? Or something environmental like draft, big swings in weather/temps/humidity, or poor ventilation?

I'd hate for you to quit because of this problem or see the same problems trying your project again. Let me know if I can help you out in any way. Even if it is to be sounding board for you. Best wishes to you.

eta: I think you are on the right train of thinking. IF there are no signs of illness, you might go ahead and slaughter and then inspect the organs (just as one always should). Then decide what you want to do with the carcass.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
As far as sources of the URI, I think mine got it from a used cage I bought.

I have some more used cages coming in soon. Flame sterilization is nice and easy, so I'll do that. I burned off my existing cages and scrubbed everything down. ETA: I used CLR to remove rust and calcium off cages and urine guards to get to a smooth metal surface that could be sanitized.

The second doe to get it shared a water bottle with the infected doe. Plus those two share an ex-pen out in the grass and cuddle up face-to-face.

Because my other rabbits aren't getting it, I suspect it is not pastuerella - that stuff is crazy contagious. If it reoccurs, we'll definitely culture it and see what we have.

Blue Skys

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I culled the doe, she was not well. I did slaughter two of the youngsters, they did not show any symptoms of being ill, and their organs were all healthy so they got cooked and ate... I also have a mature buck that seemed to be getting sick, but looks like he might pull through.

These rabbits were all from the same rabbitry, I brought them home in November. One of the does got bloat that I did not treat quickly enough and she was put down. Everyone else had been fine.

I think that big swings in weather may have contributed now that you say that. They are outside, have roofs and a tarp to gaurd from drafts, but the weather has been crazy the past couple of weeks.

I won't let this discourage me from continuing to raise rabbits. It's been a learning experience that's for sure.

I will need to get two more does, I read tortoise's post about flame sterilization, what are some other methods of sterilizing the cages for the new buns?

ChickenPotPie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Okay, yeah, do Sterling new cages, quarantine new rabbits being added to a herd for 30 days (check for any illnesses/weekness including vent desease aka. treponema cuniculi), a lower humidity and good air exchange where you keep your rabbits.

I know there is only so much we can do about swings in the weather but making sure the tarp both keeps drafts away and allows for circulation of air will help.

I'd ask the person you bought them from if they've had this problem before. If they're experienced, they may have dealt with it before. Ask them what they do in such cases - ie. prevention, culling, or opting to treat it. If you're not satisfied they can help you/mentor you as much as you'd like, consider finding a breeder who can.

Good luck.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I couldn't wait any longer. My buck started showing symptoms this morning. Little damp around the nose and on the front paws. I took him in to the vet for a nasal swab and it's being sent out to the lab to culture and see what my bun-buns have.