Medicated chick feed?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Many of the commercial hatcheries that we buy our personal birds from are the same hatcheries that supply commercial producers.

You are right the genetics involved in these birds IS a carefully guarded secret. The developers of these birds then market them to make as much money as possible. The hatchery that I usually buy from has a number to call if you are purchasing "600 or more chicks". Not too many back yarders raise broilers 600 or more at a time! They are not losing their trade secret by selling birds anymore than the cola people are losing their formulas by selling you a soda.

Commercial producers of MOST meat animals have been feeding medicated feeds of one form or another since the late 1940's they DO change feeds usually before the butcher dates. It is possible that some don't. The commercial bred birds do grow extremely fast and have been all vaccinated before they are shipped from the hatchery.

I subscribe to both commercial and backyard poultry sites and have done so for years.

"Dead birds make it very apparent and either the contents of the house are destroyed or saved by medications given in the water. biosecurity is much cheaper than medications!" "

This is a true statement, except that sick birds commercially are almost never treated. If disease is contracted commercially the birds are usually destroyed.

"No trace of these medications is allowed to be found when the birds are butchered." Also true, which is why they have a withholding period from medications before the birds are shipped.

"In any case the grow house is completly cleaned and sterilized between each batch of chickens."

You are right again. Once every 38 to 45 days the warehouses where these chickens by the thousands are kept are completely stripped and sanitized. Then they are re bedded and filled with another batch of thousands of chicks, who in turn get to live their whole lives messing on each other and the same litter without change. These birds live such unnatural lives in dimly lit filth no amount of natural resistance could be enough.

"For these outdoor (backyard) birds are exposed to wild birds which carry and spread diseases. once you have a disease in the soil it is almost impossible to get rid of it. If you haven't had an outbreak of disease in your outdoor birds you have been very lucky."

Again true! But disease outbreaks from exposure to will cause losses, but seldom does a disease outbreak in a backyard flock result in the loss of the entire flock. The more natural conditions will give birds a chance to develop real immunities and the strong will survive.

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Chicks are routinely fed medicated feed for commercial operations, both meat and layer chicks. I've studied the books on getting started with a commercial operation, and the books were current.

Commercial hatchery chicks are not bred for hardiness - some backyard BREEDS were created for that, but those traits are not maintained well. It does vary hatchery to hatchery - some are better than others, but many hatcheries are NOT tracking the outcome of the chicks, they just mass produce and send them off. Very hard to know whether your breeding lines are good or not that way, since most buyers who have high losses will assume it is something they did, not that it is something genetic.

When backyard chicken breeds are factory bred, through generations, to mass produce more chicks for sale, the tend to end up with many of the same traits as production birds raised in confinement, and they become unsuited to being raised in more natural conditions, since the traits necessary for a successful self-sustainable flock are quite different than the traits necessary to mass produce chicks in confinement in a breeding house. Disease hardiness is a factor of both environment, and genetics.

My mother raised fairly sizable flocks of chickens for 10 years, and lost far more chickens to predators than to disease - and the losses from predators were not more than a few during a bad year. We find that there is a great difference in the chicks she bought 30 years ago, and the chicks we are able to get now, even when the breeds are technically the same.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'll have to try the hay. I'm surprised at how much hay the geese eat every day.

As far as medicated, I ordered my first batch vaccinated and I raised them on medicated feed. Lost one chick within days of shipping.

Since then I have raised many batches of hatchery chicks, feed store chicks, my hens' chicks, and farm bought chicks. I have never again used medicated feed or vacs.

I lost one guinea keet, almost grown, to an unknown cause. I've lost a few to predators, and a few to drowning. I've never lost a single one to illness unless it was that one guinea, and she just dropped dead one night. My grandmother never had disease on her flocks (I know, a different world and different chickens back then) but for myself I'd rather have stronger chickens, raised more naturally.

Just my 2 cents. :)

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
We have a LOT of broiler production here where I live. The chickens are fed medicated feed, only they call the medication "ionophores" so technically they can say it's not an antibiotic. Same difference. There is NO change in feed before the broilers leave for the processing plant. Also, between flocks the houses are not totally cleaned out and sanitized. They do a "crust out" which means they only remove the top layer of bedding, leaving the litter underneath for the next flock. Most of our broilers produced around here are done at 6 weeks.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
They do a "crust out" which means they only remove the top layer of bedding, leaving the litter underneath for the next flock. Most of our broilers produced around here are done at 6 weeks.
:sick Commercial fried chicken anyone? :sick

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
They actually have machines called crusters...I just saw one advertised in our local ads. :p

Washington

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hello guys....!
Thank you for you generosity! At this forum, you share us so important message.I like this kind of post which tell us much important massage.thank you again.